HybridZ

AWD vr6 240z swap?

dreamZproject

Hey guys.

Just sorting through some crazy ideas, I really like the thought of grabbing the AWD version of the Audi TT VR6 and whacking it in an S30. The benefit of using this engine over a RB26 is that the layout of the engine SHOULD allow the engine to sit further back to the firewall, plus i like the idea of a NA engine a bit better for a Z. (Oh, and who could say no to a 6 speed dual clutch box!?).

So, anyone have any ideas on what I'm going on about?

Hey guys.

Just sorting through some crazy ideas, I really like the thought of grabbing the AWD version of the Audi TT VR6 and whacking it in an S30. The benefit of using this engine over a RB26 is that the layout of the engine SHOULD allow the engine to sit further back to the firewall, plus i like the idea of a NA engine a bit better for a Z. (Oh, and who could say no to a 6 speed dual clutch box!?).

So, anyone have any ideas on what I'm going on about?

I would LOVE to see this done, however I see a few issues with the idea. The most obvious is the traverse engine in a small longitudinal bay. It seems unlikely the the engine and trans would fit between the rails, especially since the staggered bores makes the the vr6 a bit longer than traditional V6's of similar displacement. . Then I think you would be limited in engine placement by the front axle outputs of the transmission. I'm not sure how flexible they are, but I imagine the axles have to be more or less perpendicular to the car, mean the engine/trans placement will be dictated by the spindle location. Then of course there's the spindles. You would have to adapt some sort of fwd uprights, and sort out compatible flanges and splines sounds like a royal headache in itself. I would think the best way to make it happen would be a full tube frame front end for clearance, or graft Z car bodywork to a TT/R32 :P

RWD VR6 swaps seem to be becoming more and more prevalent. I'm not sure what people are using for transmissions, but I swore I saw a VR6 project on here, and a friend of a friend is building a turbo VR6 S14. 

Ahhh yeah, forgot it was transversely mounted... Lets say that somehow magically it did fit in side to side, I am guessing that the spline location would be fairly good considering how stubby those Audi's front ends can be (compared to how far forwards the RB26 swap has to be). I am assuming that it would be possible to utelise the Audi dsg 6 speed box (which would be most desirable IMO) and seeing as though there is no gear stick, placement of the box would be inconsequential. (Somehow the flappy paddles would need to be hooked up. Come to think of it, is the entire steering rack stolen from the new engine seeing as though they would then be driven???)

Oh yeah, they actually make a longitudinal conversion plate for these engines! I wonder if that could help the situation???

Would be EPIC if possible :D

Edited by dreamZproject

I don´t think that there is no extra room in that mk1 Golf, because transmission is right beside frame rail. And also that is FWD and AWD transmission is larger (it is wider at least).

Also you can´t move that engine back to firewall because location of front drive shafts. 

Even if you mount engine longitudinal it needs to be mounted more forward because of those front driveshaft position.

http://advancedautomotion.com/shop/images/01E%20AWD.jpg

Edited by TeemuM

Yeah that makes sense longitudinally. Would be nearly the same as the rb...

Hmmm, I'm not sure of the layout of the gearbox when the engine is transverse, yes perhaps that will be the issue...

On further inspection, the way the gearbox is set up, the engine will still be super far forwards. Making this a dud swap :(

Edited by dreamZproject

Lol, you guys are gonna think I'm nuts...

Toyota Previa engine layout

2.4L supercharged mid mounted engine :D

Seems as though there is a driveshaft to the front diff, so you could sit the engine right against the firewall practically and have a custom super short one made up.

Now that would be a hilarious/ cool conversion! 

Lol, you guys are gonna think I'm nuts...

Toyota Previa engine layout

2.4L supercharged mid mounted engine :D

Seems as though there is a driveshaft to the front diff, so you could sit the engine right against the firewall practically and have a custom super short one made up.

Now that would be a hilarious/ cool conversion! 

Certainly different, but from what I can find, the Previa's 4WD system is of a typical truck with separate diff, transfer case and front diff, just mid mounted with a goofy toppled offer I4. Weight and packaging would probably be an issue. 

Yeah i realised that there are a few awd sr20's like from the Pulsar GTi. Would be a fairly good swap i recon...

Has anyone any ideas about the VQ35? I know people have done the VQ35 swap with rwd, but i wonder if the positioning of it would work

with the AWD system.