HybridZ

Tip for installing backglass?

6inline

I bought a set of weather strip on thezstores.com and everything fits well. There is just the back glass that I can't fit. In fack, it blow in my face while I was trying to fit it all on the car. Anybody ever did it himself? I need a hint.

Right.  It really requires having a helper to hold the glass in place.  While you're trying to get one side set, it tends to "push out" the other side unless someone is holding it in place...  We have very good luck using a smooth, supple cotton cord that's nearly 1/8" thick (like "clothes line" rope from back in the day).

+1 on installing the stainless steel trim before you put the glass in the hatch (same goes for the windshield).  It's infinitely more easy than trying to put it in the channels once the glass is set.  

I think the entire process is described very well in the Factory Service Manual.

Also, if you start pulling the cord at the bottom of the glass then make sure your helper is pushing the glass down towards the bottom until you get the top corners of the weatherstrip seated, otherwise you may find that you can't get them in.

I did install by myself and failed. I purchase my kit from MSA.

I used strings that was used Xmas tree wrapping.

post-25175-0-84398000-1393870521_thumb.jpg

post-25175-0-77563800-1393870541_thumb.jpg

I got huge gap on one side, but not other side.

post-25175-0-51471600-1393870554_thumb.jpg

bottom corner has huge gaps on both side.

post-25175-0-88611200-1393870849_thumb.jpg

and at last, I recommend to wear thick glove. You will cut your skin when you pull string(rope).

post-25175-0-84665100-1393870570_thumb.jpg

Does anyone have recommendation where the rope start putting in? from top or bottom?

We always start at the top of the glass - personal preference I think...  (easier to hold the bottom in place than the top for us)  As you get the rubber over the flange it helps to pull it outboard and really set it over the flange.  Once I've got 10 or 12 inches of rubber over the flange I reach underneath with my fingertips and pull (squeeze) the seal to the outside.  That also helps the seal and glass to drop into the hole.  Keep pushing the glass and seal down (and out) as you go. 

Your gaps at the corners are most likely caused by two things (other than repro rubber that's not quite right..):  A. Not pulling the seal outwards enough  B. Not having the stainless steel trim in.  The trim is for more than just looks - it actually really helps keep the edges of the seal pushed out and in the correct position to cover the corners.  Especially the bottom corners of the hatch and the top corners of the windshield.

You can "massage" the rubber quite a bit.  It's not always easy, but you can push and knead and stretch and pull - inside and out - to get the gasket moved to where you need it to cover gaps and get the outside edge (flap) to sit flush and smooth on the body.

If you're the guy pulling the rope (string, cord, wire, whatever you use) you really do need a good pair of gloves to save your hand.  When you get to the corners (especially the tight-turn corners), start working the cord in a circular motion.  The guys helping hold the window in place will think you're nuts, but motion of the cord really helps pull that tough-to-get corner material out and over the flange...

Edited by cgsheen
  • Like 1

Here is how I did my last restoration:

Install new weather stripping around glass on bench.

Install SS trim in weather stripping

Route string inside weather strip lip

Lay assembly on vehicle

Have someone put light pressure on the glass from the outside while a person on the inside pulls string out.

Putting the SS trim on before installing glass is a huge time saver.

Installing the glass is not hard, clothesline rope and LOTS of soapy water, set bottom on lip , press against glass (Two People) and slowly pull rope, go slow at corners use a plastic putty knife to assist getting the rubber over the metal if needed. Once the rope pull is done keep pressure on the glass and go around the gasket with the plastic putty knife to seat the outer rubber edge better.

The real pain in the ass is the Stainless Trim, I would like to see a tool made to help with this, I am thinking having a u shaped hook that glides on the stainless trim ridges as it is pushed into the rubber. Look at the sliding metal clips used on tool socket holders I think a similar shaped clip with a handle welded on to the top and extensions making the hook part of the clips a little longer would work?

anybody want to try and make one?

The window place here uses gojo to lube up everything on those types of installs and they have them in in no time. I asked the installer why and they said liquid soap dries quickly and makes it harder to get in. They said they totally wipe down every inch of the seal with it and just wash it off after.

• 2 weeks later...

Installing the glass is not hard, clothesline rope and LOTS of soapy water, set bottom on lip , press against glass (Two People) and slowly pull rope, go slow at corners use a plastic putty knife to assist getting the rubber over the metal if needed. Once the rope pull is done keep pressure on the glass and go around the gasket with the plastic putty knife to seat the outer rubber edge better.

The real pain in the ass is the Stainless Trim, I would like to see a tool made to help with this, I am thinking having a u shaped hook that glides on the stainless trim ridges as it is pushed into the rubber. Look at the sliding metal clips used on tool socket holders I think a similar shaped clip with a handle welded on to the top and extensions making the hook part of the clips a little longer would work?

anybody want to try and make one?

Put the trim in after the rubber is on the glass, but before you install it in the car. Worked perfectly for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Put the trim in after the rubber is on the glass, but before you install it in the car. Worked perfectly for me.

You are correct, never try and put the trim on after installing the glass, the rubber is pinched and now the corners are not fitting right, as said earlier the trim serves more than one purpose.

2 hours to get the trim on the rubber after you already have the rubber on the glass, has to be an easier way or have some special tool to get the trim on without damaging the tiny rubber lips, Temporarily tape the rubber to the glass as it will keep falling off while trying to put the trim on.

It only took 15 minutes to install onto the car, lots of lubricant of your choice and a good soaked rope