HybridZ

Offsets give me headaches

I have been trying to learn the dang offsets for the different size wheels and widths for these s30's and cant seem to get rid of the headaches i get from trying to figure this all out. At first I thought the more negative you go, the further out it sticks, then a friend told me i was backwards, and now I have given up. I have zg flares on the way to the house, wont be installing them until I get rims and coilovers installed. I want to go ahead and get wheels now because one of my rims has a little dent in the edge causing a tiny little leak which makes me put air in the tire about every two weeks. But ANYWAYS, i hate stance, I love big lips on these s30s and I want a 255 on a 9 inch wide wheel. I want the widest footprint I can get, obviously for good handling, but little to no camber in the rear (about 1-2 degree max in rear and 2-3 degree max in the front). What offset do you guys think would be best? i can get some spacers to dial it in perfect when I get the wheel but 16x9's with zg flares with little to no extra camber...?

attached pictures are of the stance i like

post-41938-0-80524500-1393873582_thumb.jpg

post-41938-0-64310200-1393873609_thumb.png

post-41938-0-41623500-1393873614_thumb.jpg

At first I thought the more negative you go, the further out it sticks, then a friend told me i was backwards.What offset do you guys think would be best? i can get some spacers to dial it in perfect when I get the wheel but 16x9's with zg flares with little to no extra camber...?

attached pictures are of the stance i like

First, you had it right, the more negative, farther away from the suspension the wheel lip will be. Second. were are you going to find a 255 tire for 16" rims. Lastly, the Rota group buy has the perfect sizes for ZG flares. 

Edited by BluDestiny

The more - offset your back space diminishes and your wheel sticks out.

Under stock fenders you can fit 15x9 with a 0 to -15 offset.

Regular zg flares you can fit 15x10 front 0 to -15 offset Rear 15x10 0 to -35 offset

Wide zg flares 15x10.5 -15 to -35 Rear 15x11.5 -20 to -35

okay awesome. looks like ill pickin up some 16x9 -15's and probably use spacers in the rear

and 9 in wide wheels fit 235-275's correct? i dont want to stretch my tires and dont want a huge bubble on the size of my rim. i figure anything from 245-255 would look fine, as long as i can find something that performs decent and doesnt cost my left arm thats fine with me

That seems jarring with what I have in my head.

Under stock fender: 9 wide with 0 offset

Zg flare: 9 with -13 offset in front, and 9.5 with -19 offset in rear

BAMF flare: 11 with -52 offset in rear

A 9 with -15 would be 40 mm further out than the 7 inch wheels I have right now

A79E16AB-39F4-4D50-AD35-207E1C9B8870-216

And that picture is with a few degrees of camber in the back.

The easiest way to remember is to find the boundary from the hub face to where it hits the suspension (the inner boundary). On a z car with stock like suspension that number is about 4-4.5 inches. With coil overs the number can be pushed towards 5-5.5 inches I believe.

After you have that number all that remains is your outer boundary. A good size to start with is 8 inches wide, we will use 9 inches for the example as people have reported that size fitting with a bit of camber.

So for 4.5 inches of backspacing (our golden number), on a 9 inch wide rim, you will need an offset of 0 or more negative (9/2 = 4.5).

Z flares add about 2 inches, thus if you want to run maybe a little wider with less camber, since the outer boundary is further out you could run a 9.5 -19 offset (9.5 - (19/25) ~ 8.75/2 ~ 4.4).

BAMF flares I want to say most wide ones add 3 inches, thus if you wanted to run a bit wider you could run an 11 with -52 offset (11-(52/26) = 9/2 =4.5).

So as long as you maintain the inner number and choose a tire that is appropriate that should help choosing a wheel. You can go wider of course, but that will mean running a stretched tire, or running with more suspension travel/camber.

Remember there is no best on hybridz, and if you plan on running spacers you will need longer wheel studs as you run out of thread pretty quick on the stock wheel studs.

Edited by seattlejester

Offset is the distance from the imaginary center line of the wheel to the mounting point of the wheel. If the mounting point is dead center of the barrel, its 0 offset. If the mounting point is any closer to the face of the wheel (more sunken). Its a positive off set, and as the mounting point goes the opposite way (toward the inner lip of the wheel) the more negative. These are measured in MM (from the imaginary centerline to the mounting point). Hope that helps

You'll have to poke around here to understand where the outside face should be to line up properly with the ZG flares for your tastes, but this tool should be extremely useful in understanding and visualizing how width and offset interplay to affect inner and outer clearance:

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

tables like this are also helpful to convert from offset to backspace and vice versa:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forumpics/wheels/offset.gif

First, you had it right, the more negative, farther away from the suspension the wheel lip will be. Second. were are you going to find a 255 tire for 16" rims. Lastly, the Rota group buy has the perfect sizes for ZG flares. 

Where is this group buy taking place?  I looked through the group buy and for sale forums, and didn't see anything.

• 2 weeks later...

The more - offset your back space diminishes and your wheel sticks out.

Under stock fenders you can fit 15x9 with a 0 to -15 offset.

Regular zg flares you can fit 15x10 front 0 to -15 offset Rear 15x10 0 to -35 offset

Wide zg flares 15x10.5 -15 to -35 Rear 15x11.5 -20 to -35

Does that sizing hold true for 17 inch wheels for the stock fender car?

I was thinking 17x9 -12 offset running 255 tires for the rear

Does that sizing hold true for 17 inch wheels for the stock fender car?

Pretty much. I don't think you're going to get 255's under the rear of an S30 without either flares or coil-overs though. Oh yeah - check both sides of your car. The fender well clearances are probably different side to side. Something about the cars being 40 years old.

Carefull with 9" wheels fitting "under" the fenders. I have 15x9, 0 offset Rota Shakotans with a 225/50 Falken 912's which I would imagine run narrow compared to more performance oriented tires. The rims poke about 1/2"-3/4". Note I have stock diameter springs but tucking the wheels into the wheels wells won't happen with 0 offset. The rears still have a decent bit of a clearance at the spring perch and could probably be brought in a about 10mm as is (+10 offset), more with coilovers. The Front I had to add 8mm spacers, thought with coilovers you could probably get away without them. 

8794806654_cbdaa1a974_b.jpg

• 1 month later...

After reading this last post it seems that a 15x8 +0 wheel with 225/50 tires would fit with rubbing or hitting s30 suspension with lowering springs. I have been looking at getting some Enkei Compe wheels or Rota Grid Classics in this size and while searching online I found someone say that the Rota's fit but the Enkei's 8 inch wide wheel has a wrong offset. I don't know what that means-- Enkei made the wrong measurements? If anyone can clear this up that would be great.