HybridZ

Car was just painted.......

ktm

A total of 3 weeks since I dropped the car off.  I had some holes filled (mirror and spoiler related), rust on the lower fender rockers repaired, rear deck below the hatch replaced (some minor rust) and a few other issues taken car of.  New front windshield without the blue stripe, etc., etc.  I pick up my rear bumper from the chrome shop later this week.  It needed minor straightening and a rechrome, but I am too excited to wait to post the pics.  The color is Audi Solar Orange.  It is a solid color and I went single-stage.  I want to be able to repair scratches, chips, etc. myself with a bit of touch up and sanding/polishing.  Yes, the Mazda 5 is MY daily driver........

At the paint shop (thanks to John Williams):

Paint4_zps06f855af.jpg

Home in the driveway:

Paint1-Red_zps24cc0e0b.jpg

Paint6-Red_zps8e8a1a8c.jpg

Paint7-Red_zpsa634c64d.jpg

At what cost?  Did they go down to the metal?

I paid $3300 for the body work, new windshield (installed with trim) and paint job.  They did not take it down to metal as the car is a driver.  I could not justify spending the money to take it all the way down just to have the paint chipped to hell within 5,000 miles.  The roads around So Cal eat cars alive.  I put 9,000 miles on my car in the past year and you could see it in the paint.

Bart, no, John does not paint cars but the shop he recommended was right next door to his place.  John took the shot in the parking lot.

• 3 weeks later...

I paid $3300 for the body work, new windshield (installed with trim) and paint job.  They did not take it down to metal as the car is a driver.  I could not justify spending the money to take it all the way down just to have the paint chipped to hell within 5,000 miles.  The roads around So Cal eat cars alive.  I put 9,000 miles on my car in the past year and you could see it in the paint.

Bart, no, John does not paint cars but the shop he recommended was right next door to his place.  John took the shot in the parking lot.

Hey there Bo, car looks great.

What was the paint shop you took the car to? I'm from socal (LA) and looking for a good/reputable paint shop.

I just picked up a 280z that could use some paint/body work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks all.  Life has kept me pretty busy since I originally posted these pictures.  Following are the "final" pictures with the bumper installed.

CarNew2_zpse220b7da.jpg

CarNew_zpsb86465d3.jpg

The company is Universal Metal Plating in Azusa that straightened and re-chromed my rear bumper.  The chrome job is fantastic as well as the straightening.  It is not perfectly strait as they pointed out that it was straightened before in its life, but the chrome is nearly flawless.  It took 3 weeks due to their back-log, but I am more than happy with how it came out.

The paint shop is located in Lake Elsinore and is called Unrestricted Auto Trends.  I drove the car out there and had a buddy follow me to take me home.  The paint is not perfect by any means but for what I paid (which includes a new windshield) I am happy.

" The roads around So Cal eat cars alive. "

Anybody who doesn't believe that look at "The Blue Turd"! It has 110,000 SoCal miles on it...it was shiny once. It was just the roads that killed it!

That place in Elsinore is 20 minutes away... I wonder how they would feel with my car sitting in their shop for 7 months while I'm away...

• 5 weeks later...