HybridZ

Techno Toy Tunning Front LCA

...Most of the ball joint force will be horizontal, so the ball joint bolts are going to be primarily under shear load in either case (top or bottom mount)....

This is not correct. Bolts are never in shear unless they are loose. Bolts force two surfaces together and it is the friction between those two surfaces which transmits any forces. The bolts are always in tension.

While on this issue, be sure not to apply excessive paint to any mating surfaces as it will compress over time and reduce the tension, and thus the friction, between the surfaces.

Edited by Boy from Oz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is not correct. Bolts are never in shear unless they are loose. Bolts force two surfaces together and it is the friction between those two surfaces which transmits any forces. The bolts are always in tension.

While on this issue, be sure not to apply excessive paint to any mating surfaces as it will compress over time and reduce the tension, and thus the friction, between the surfaces.

You're right. Referring specifically to the bolts being under shear load was a mistake. The point I was trying to convey is that the 'assembly' is under more of a shear load than tension.

Nigel

• 10 months later...

Being unaware of this thread before today I am pleased (!!!) to come across it and find that the maddening three hours I have just spent trying to match up my TTT front LCA to my modified brake and hub setup was not an unusual occurrence. I had already turned over the ball joint when I first installed it on the LCA but then when I presented it to the assembled brake/coilover I came across the problem. As I am lowering the car overall and fitting Roll Centre Adjusters my arm "just" fits - but its a feeler gauge gap! 

My front setup is cropped & welded strut casings; Otomoto HSD coilovers 55mm, 6.5kg springs, helpers, Koni 1220 Sport shocks; Toyota 4Runner 4 pot callipers, TTT 5-lug aluminium hubs; BMW E36 Vented 280mm rotors. The Rotors sit quite a way back on the stub shaft to align with the 4Runner calliper centreline (the callipers are straight bolt-ons to the standard lugs and the Rotors required a very slight skim but still well within the tolerences). Hence the close fit to the LCA. 

I am going to grind them back a little to allow reasonable for full movement changes - hate doing it to a new part but ce'st la vie!