HybridZ

Request tips/products for painting roll cage

Looking for pointers and paint product recommendations for painting roll cage coming out of shop next week. To mask or not? Or hold a folder behind tube to block overspray? Durable paint recommendation? Needs to be available in rattle can. I have been thinking about using black brake caliper paint because it seems to bond and cover well without primer. I see a future of lots of scratches on the door bars as I drag my sorry butt thru that tight opening.

If your only option is aeosol rattle can, I've found that the engine enamel paints, with a ceramic coating proved to be most durable. As far as spray paint goes, that is.

Prime first, optional sand, paint with ceramic engine paint, That's yeilded the best results for me.

No paint will resist impact chipping very well, but it certainly is scratch resistant.

EDIT: I like the Duplicolor Engine enamel line. I've had the best luck with that over other paints.

And definitely tape, unless your interior is stripped out. Overspray gets anywhere it can. It's quite amazing.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Kind of surprising how powder-coating big parts has become popular.  Takes a big oven.  But they're out there.  Done right, it's super-durable.  Here's one - http://www.coyotecoating.com/

Rattle cans are solvent-based and low molecular weight by nature so it's hard to get durability.  A two-part sprayed epoxy would be better.  By the time you add up all of the $4-5 cans, it might be cost-effective.

On rattle cans - Krylon and Hammerite are the only brands I've found that can be used, nozzles cleared, set on the shelf and re-used in the future.  The others all clog the nozzle, no matter what.  Just a consideration.

Advanced auto has chassis and roll bar paint in a rattle can. I'm sure it's as durable as any rattle can stuff and they also have some epoxy in a spray can.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/vht-paint-roll-bar-chassis-gloss-black-11-oz-aerosol-sp670/99984858-p

I painted the roll bar in my last car with it and it held up nicely. It was a convertible and it didn't fade. I didn't drag anything across it or have harness or anything wrapped around it to find out how tough it really was. At least with a spray can it would be easy to fix.

Clean really well with wax and grease remover and do a mist coat for the first coat.  Let it flash off some then do heavier coats. Let rattle can stuff cure a long time before hard use. I'm sure it will say something along those lines on the cans instructions.

Thanks everybody. Thanks for the link, socorob. (Funny-my autocorrect wants so make you either "so iron" or "so prob" - take your pick!). They have that in stock. Future touch up is something that I'm sure will happen as I add brackets and things. Not terribly concerned about the gloss of it. I'm never sure about which paints need primer. I have always assumed that they all do ?? (Anyone?). Sounds like a no primer on the VHT stuff.

Thanks everybody. Thanks for the link, socorob. (Funny-my autocorrect wants so make you either "so iron" or "so prob" - take your pick!). They have that in stock. Future touch up is something that I'm sure will happen as I add brackets and things. Not terribly concerned about the gloss of it. I'm never sure about which paints need primer. I have always assumed that they all do ?? (Anyone?). Sounds like a no primer on the VHT stuff.

Yeah, all liquid coatings like to have something to attach to. Bare metal isn't the greatest in terms of bond strength, when talking about adding paint only.

Always prime if you wan't proper adhesion and relatively decent asethetic finish. This DOESN'T have to be a filler primer or a primer surfacer.

Etch primer was designed for this purpose entirely. Introducing bare metals to liquid coatings. Lightly etch the area (does not go on like a build primer, it likes to go on "dry").... Then paint.

I assume the VHT paint doesn't call for primer as it is for exhausts/super high heat, and finding a 1500 degree primer is basically impossible. Not to mention the paint is pretty much designed to fade and become less glossy as it dries/is heated. It kind of reminds me of anti fowling bottom paint (for boats).

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

When we did our Evo rally car we went all out and masked the whole car before priming and painting with an HVLP gun. The first time we primed the cage, the primer stayed tacky, it turned out Napa sold us the wrong reducer, so we spent hours wiping it all off with acetone. Once all redone, our semigloss paint ranged from full matt, to full glossy and runs everywhere. Aside from operator error, I attribute this to a lack of an air dryer, and a gun that was too big for spraying 1.75" tube. If I were to do it again, I'd just go with a rust inhibiting enamel paint. Muuuch cheaper, easier, less prep, equipment and knowledge required, and I'm positive I could do a better job.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87466467@N04/9456362284/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87466467@N04/9453583407/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87466467@N04/9456385428/

I know this isn't pertaining to Roll Cage, but similar and maybe it can help you. I refinished a few rims for my truck using a simple process: Sand down to metal - Etch primer - Primer - 3 to 4 coats of paint of your choice (I used VHT Gunmetal) - 3 to 4 coats of clear. Took me 4 days for 4 rims working on them a few hours at a time, in between other honey-do chores. Also the rims were gouged and scratched pretty deep from the previous owners failed attempt at offroading, which made up for the longer work time.

There was a lot of cleaning each time and I took my time for each rim, but the results are after 3 years, potholes, new orleans streets,  and 20k miles, they haven't faded or chipped.

Hope this helps you. Also everything I found was at Autozone (cheaper online tho if you are patient).

I can PM you my entire post I had on the other forum if you want.

Edited by NgoZ

I sprayed mine with a gun and industrial paint. Didn't prime first and still get a lot of chips in it. But you don't need expensive paint since UV protection is not an issue.

Painting a cage is the hardest thing I have ever painted. Impossible to keep the gun distance even, get 360 degree tube coverage, while paint is blowing back in your face. You will not want to do multiple coats. Plan on taking some time to do it. Powder coating is the way to go for pro results.

I sprayed mine with a gun and industrial paint. Didn't prime first and still get a lot of chips in it. But you don't need expensive paint since UV protection is not an issue.

Painting a cage is the hardest thing I have ever painted. Impossible to keep the gun distance even, get 360 degree tube coverage, while paint is blowing back in your face. You will not want to do multiple coats. Plan on taking some time to do it. Powder coating is the way to go for pro results.

Doubt he'll have the car to a shell that can withstand 400 Degree temps, or I'd say go for it.

Based on your initial post I would say stop wearing jeans with bedazzled rear pockets.

If you go the rattle can paint route I would suggest the following:

• Sand with 180 or 220 grit paper.  Paint likes mechanical grip
  • Clean with PPG DX330 or a similar wax remover/de-greaser
  • Spray SEM self etching primer (local auto paint shops or Eastwood)
  • Hit it with 320 grit paper if you want it to be pretty
  • Use pretty much any commercially available paint such as Rustoleum or Duplicolor.  I prefer SEM.