HybridZ

Old school AZC Coilovers

I'm redoing some struts i have for the drag car. Everything i have on the current struts will swap over. All i need is the threaded stuff you slip over the tube. Anybody know where i can get this stuff? I don't need the entire coilover swap just the threaded sleeve. 

They are so cheap. And speedway has a great return policy. They appear to be exactly what is on my car with parts I bought from ground control 20 years ago. If it were me: buy them and try them. If they don't fit, send 'me back. Of course you wouldn't want to do all that heating and cooling. Mine are a little loose on my 240z strut tubes so they are easy to remove and adjust. In fact when I am making adjustments I turn the collar and the seat in opposite directions to get it done more quickly. I hope these are right, but I would give it a try. Sorry mine is assembled and at the roll cage shop or I would go pull a measurement got you.

May as well put my engineering degree to some use here :icon7:  the thermal expansion coefficient for steel is 7.3 in^-6 / in * F

So if you cool the 2" steel strut tube by 10 degrees F itl shrink 0.000146". The aluminum tube will expand a similarly small amount from heat. That's probably more than you really cared to know though :icon10:

Short answer, your not going to get 0.085" from heating/cooling. At most you will get a few thousandths of an inch. Here's a handy dandy calculator http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linear-thermal-expansion-d_1379.html

Cheers!

Edited by KyleG

• 2 weeks later...

Stony - a good interference fit is .001" for each inch of diameter. you would have to freeze the strut and then heat the aluminum collar to ridiculous temperatures to get the .085" size difference you need to get it to fit. If that were even possible (look up the coefficient of thermal expansion for aluminum)then the thread size on the collar wouldn't fit the nut because it was larger than originally designed. You would then have to machine the nut larger. Don't go there. Find one that is designed to first your strut.

Edited by Phantom

• 4 weeks later...