HybridZ

3rd time's the charm, i guess. 1JZGTE VVT-I 72 240z

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys, thought I would chime in on this thread. I'm also in the middle of a 1jzvvti/240z build. So far the engine & trans are in. Tell you what, that engine fits like a glove. So, the next step is wiring. I have a lot of skills, but wiring I have some trouble with. I live in the Chula Vista are, maybe we could do a 'Z' night and compare notes. 

De struck. yes, trans mount got made yesterday and today. it's kind of ugly but it does its job.

I would be down but I don't have any notes to speak of, just a minor vvt wiring guide that I'm playing with. We will find out if it's enough soon I guess.

I got some work done today

-Driveshaft measured and is currently being made at my driveshaft shop, unfortunately the stock driveshaft wasn't long enough to donate it's tubing and the stock celica driveshaft had a staked in u joint so I had to just buy a new slip yoke, but it's all sorted

-I got my intercooler mounted up, it's got 3 mounts and is very sturdy

-started on my ic pipes, got the cold sie pipe tacked together, up next is the hot side and the Inlet and then I can get everything finish welded

Here are the pics that it wouldn't let me attach on my phone.

Also, something worth noting, the upper radiator hose off the 1j is damn near a perfect fit, but about an inch too short on the radiator side, Lower needs some modification because the fan is incredibly close to the lower outlet...

post-9667-0-83327200-1399659940_thumb.jpg

post-9667-0-93250000-1399659956_thumb.jpg

post-9667-0-99611600-1399659965_thumb.jpg

I got my hot side pipe tacked and mocked up. my 90* coupler for the Inlet should be here tomorrow, and then I'll mount my filter and maf and get my intake made and I can get everything welded up

I also modded the outlet of my radiator to point straight backwards instead of turning up. It would have contacted the fan the way it was so it will work much better this way. I got my radiator hoses sorted as well.

This week I thi k I will tackle the wiring debacle and figure out what to do for my heater.

post-9667-0-76314600-1399873031_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fuzzydicerule

• 2 weeks later...

Minor update

-today I pulled the fuel tank and vapor system, basically going to be consolidating the vapor system and deleting the vapor tank, as well as taking the time to install my lift pump back there.

-I decided to purchase a new wiring harness, so that project will get tackled here soon.

I dunno. Shit will happen as I get to it

Well, i have managed to finish off the rest of my money...

i didnt manage to get alot done today, but i did do some fancy noise making.

-i picked up my new driveshaft.   Unfortunately it actually needed about 1" more tube than the old driveshaft had,  but it still didnt end up costing me all that much.

10359539_10152893743199676_7156346704546

-its a new spicer front slip yoke, meant for a 1310 spicer ujoint, a 1310 yoke for a 2.5" tube,and the stock rear u joint which was in good shape.

As you can guess, thats been installed,  the drivetrain will probably get pulled before it is needed, but why the hell not.

I also decided to ruin my MkIII shifter

10376317_10152893743299676_7690527695361

10371710_10152893743469676_6930190867943

224815_10152893743574676_798107884369585

Basically, i cut it up, and added 3" of material (which cost all of 4 dollars at my metal supply shop)

I still have to extend the actual shifter arm, however,  that will probably happen tomorrow.

and this is why i did it.  the currently installed shifter is a mk2 shifter,  the standard mkIII housing is about 2.5 inches back from that as it was, and ive extended it by another 3 inches

10314666_10152893758484676_9022759398757

Should keep my fist out of my dashboard  =)

Anywho, basic plan for tomorrow is going to be getting the shift rod extended, and hoping it still works,  luckily i have a spare trans to ensure that it functions. followed by removing the dashboard and most of the wiring,  and if ive got the time and money, ill get the vent lines for the tank sorted and get that bitch reinstalled.

Looks like a fun build! Im thinking about the 1/2jz route as well. The 2jzge "na-t" caught my eye but after going through multiple junkyards here I'm getting discouraged as I haven't found a single motor or trans... looks like a pretty straight forward swap though. Should make an easy 350-400whp. 

got some more crap done today, and as usual I didn't take any pics

-mmounted my lift pump to my rear suspension upright, and got all the inlet lines run to that

-pulled the dash to prepare for wiring nightmares

-replaced all my heater lines under there to get rid of a leak I had

-Cut a big ass hole in a strange spot to run my engine wiring through

-got my throttle pedal about 75% sorted, turns out my hood pin standoff had a perfectly placed hole and I can use my stock quadrant with the cable. I just need to modify it a bit more to get a good pedal height and full range of motion

• 4 weeks later...

More text today,

I've been lagging on this project due to working full time again and having other shit to do, I'm now waiting on a set of speedhut gauges I bought to arrive so I can finish wiring the car up

anywho on to progress

I decided to spend some money, there was an 08 Sti diff, helical lsd with only 8k miles for sale locally for a long time. He finally dropped his price to an affordable level, and I ended up getting it for 250 bucks!

Unfortunately I then had to spend 350 on stub shafts to use my stock axles, but it fits like a glove. it's installed and pretty and ready to go

• 3 months later...

5 Month bump,  for shits

Almost nothing has gotten done in the last few months,  I got some minor wiring projects done,  mostly just got the fuse box mounted and wired the column controls.  I have been away for school via my job,  so i havent been able to do anything to the car, besides dream and get myself psyched up to get it running.    I go home this weekend, and my goal is to get it running solid before i come back up for school again in january

Anyway,  i decided that i was unhappy with the cheap ass connectors that i bought,  so i spent way too much money and bought a set of DEUTSCH DT weatherproof connectors with a tol  as seen here  http://www.amazon.com/Deutsch-Connector-Kit-451-With-Crimp/dp/B006QMKPV0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1413164715&sr=8-8&keywords=deutsch+DT+connectors

81qfp%2BXv9yL._SL1500_.jpg

I got a 300 piece kit for 100 bucks less,  still is an asston of money though...

I work for caterpillar,  and ive seen these connectors used, and the way they work, how easy they are to pull apart, and how well the crimp tool works made it a nobrainer for me to spend the dough and pony up for the kit.   Should make for a much nicer install then the cheapo split crimp disconnects i got.

Anyway  heres a short list of the things that i can remember that i need to do on the car

-Finish wiring,  Basically everything in the dash, all the front and rear lights and the alternator, battery, ETC.  Luckily the column controls and the ECU are almost entirely wired, so ive at least got a start.

-Once the wiring is finished, Remove the motor

-Minor refinish of the engine bay,  basic smoothing and paint.

-Finish the motor mounts,  if im feeling insane i may redo them, as im planning on getting a better TIG/Stick welder combo, and im not 100% satisfied with the quality of the MIG welds on my current mounts, or the design for that matter.  Same with the trans mount, which is ugly as sin.

-FInish up lines for the motor,  mostly just sorting out heater hoses,

-Run fuel lines,  IM currently debating whether or not to keep the High presure pump behind the passengers tire, or to move the surge tank and HP pump to the spare tire well to cut down on the fuel lines at the front of the engine...  Its something i will have to debate before i get back home.  I think if i do that, i will probably build a custom surge tank with an in-tank pump,  or maybe even modify my gas tank to be in-tank to cut down on the clutter...

-Disassemble the trans, and swap it to my modified shifter, which i may cut apart to ensure that the welds on the extension are up to par.

-Fix the gaping chasm of a trans hole that i had to butcher together.

-Reinstall the motor,  get it running, and ruin my tires...

Overall theres not too much work left to get this thing running,  my only problem will be finding the time to work on it,  however if i can get my other project sold,  the Z can get the garage space and it will be much easier to work on it.

Just found this, great thread.

FWIW, I had an '85 Supra and that 5sp/straight Toyota 6 is one of the most enjoyable, smoothest drivetrains I've owned. I'll be interested to get your take once you get this baby rollin'.

Sidenote: I traded that Supra straight across for a black and gold '83 Turbo ZX....the dealership thought I was nuts. Once these Zs get in your head, it's on.