HybridZ

75 wiring harness same as 77?

I'm in the process of painting my engine bay so im going to be removing the engine and all components and I was wondering if i could throw in a 77 280z engine bay wiring harness in the 75? The harness is a mess and i have a spare 77 harness laying around that will need just a few wires redone.. it will make my life so much easier if I could just swap it over and eventually redo the old one. Is there a difference between the two? Would it be a plug and play situation or am I going to have to modify it? if thats the case then I might as well just redo the 75 but it will eat up a lot of time and im eager to get the car up and going again as it was my daily until I decided to strip it for paint.. any info is appreciated.

I'm pretty sure there are some differences between the 75/76 and 77/78 harness.  I also believe that the ECU's are not compatible- which in my mind would confirm differences in wiring.

One of the differences off the top of my head is the fuel pump relay: triggered by the AFM in the earlier and oil pressure in the later. 

I have a 78 ECU in my 76.  The manual transmission Federal models seem to be the same over the years.  The oil pump switch for the fuel pump showed up in 78.  Of course, Nissan could have started early with some late 77's.  A look at the AFM plug, and probing with a meter would tell.

post-8864-0-18900300-1395677976_thumb.jpg

Edited by NewZed

• 2 weeks later...

I swapped a '77 harness into my '76 Z. the only difference is there is a 5-pin plug (I believe) which contains the circuit for the ignition coil pulse signal to the ECU which signals the injectors. on the 76 it is 4 circuits on the connector with a stay and on the '77 it is 5 circuits on that one connector. If  I could point it out i would. it will take following the pulse circuit and determining what exactly is the difference. For me, All i did was cut a wire out of the harness and build a 2 pin weatherpack (that was all i had) and join the circuit together. I hope this makes sense.