HybridZ

Damper/Pulley

ugly

So I've read about 20 posts regarding damper fit and bolt/washer issues.  

None have made mention of having issues with the pulley bolting to the damper?   I have the MSA $90 version damper and the bolt center for attaching another pulley is way off?     With A/C I need another pulley.

Seeing there are no others with this problem there must be an easy solution and I feel ridiculous asking but...

Any insight?

P90 block.  

Thanks

Edited by ugly

" I have the MSA $90 version damper and the bolt center for attaching another pulley is way off?"

What does that actually mean?

Are you asking about spacing to bolt on the additional pulley? Does the pulley have to be 'sandwiched' with a longer bolt like the old ARA setups? Of is the pulley bolted on and you have an issue with bolt length/washer combination.

I'm not following what you're asking about. 

If you bought the Powerforce damper from MSA. As stated on their website;

Model Restrictions:

For L-Series engines only. Not for use with smog pumps, power steering, or air conditioning.

Doesn't look like a pulley will fit for your AC

@ctc,  thank you, some how I missed that note entirely.  It has been 5yrs since I bought it but I went back and reread it trying to figure it out, I must have skimmed it because it is there as plain as day. 

@ Tony,  Yes I was assuming I needed to bolt an additional pulley to the end of the damper but I am learning that I really need a 2 groove damper instead.  The extra pulley on the end must be to drive the power steering and I don't need that.  

So I need to find the right damper.   That BHJ product is painfully expensive though.   Any lower cost alternatives?  Without replacing my 30yr old part?

Thank you both for the assistance.

Dale Manufacturing will urethane recondition your existing damper.

They are a somewhat odd lot...being closed "every third month" and this year than means MARCH. So you will have to wait a while to send it to them...but it's within a week, LOL

Many have sent their stock parts to him for rework. I have been dealing with them since sending my first Corvair Dampner to them in 1979. I think they said 10,000+ dampers have gone through their shop, and 7,500 of them have been Corvair... I know of at least three Datsun Dampers (ZX) that have gone through there some time ago and the owners have been nothing but complimentary at the service. I have always been happy with their Corvair Dampner Work.

http://hbrepair.com/harmonicbalancer_018.htm

But I'd still look at JeffP's Extreme 280ZX Page 22... "Damper Bolts" towards the bottom of the page.

Edited by Tony D