HybridZ

74 260Z Reverse lights will not turn off

Car:  1974 260Z (Early(11/73))

Engine:  L28 N42 Block, N42 Block, N42 Intake

Transmission: 82/83 5-Speed 

Shifter: Early 260Z 4-Speed Shifter 

Known Items:  

• Before swapping in the 5 speed the lights functioned properly.  
  • The original switch has been tested and replaced with a new item, as a measure of troubleshooting, and both function as designed.  
  • The transmission is a fresh rebuild from a reputable Z shop here in Atlanta.  
    • The owner of the Z shop has/had the same problem with a similar setup on a early 260Z
  • The wiring on the car has not changed nor been molested in anyway during the swap.  
  • No matter what gear the car is in the reverse lights stay on.  
  • I still have the original Male/Female connectors on the harness and they match what is on the car and switch. 

I currently have the switch disconnected for reasons stated above; but I would very much like to be able to see when reversing at night. 

Unknown:  What next to try?

Thank you,

Pete

Sounds like the harness shorts out when it's connected to the switch.  Make it stop doing that.  Either add some insulation or bend the two tabs on the switch farther apart.

IF the switch is correct AND disconnecting the harness turns the lights off, that's the only possible cause.  

By "switch is correct" I mean that it's open circuit when the trans is not in reverse and closed when it is.  Use a meter or test light to be sure.

Edited by NewZed

NewZed - Thank you I will give that a try.

I am also wondering if there is possibly an issue with the mechanical movement inside the transmission. I would assume not but since the switch is normally closed (lights off)

I'll put my meter on it and actually try the switch outside the transmission since I have two.

Thank you again,

Pete

Edited by thomas461

If the switch is stuck closed when it's in the transmission, then opens when you remove it, the next place to look would be in the transmission, or at how the switch is seated.  Could be that the switch you installed sits too deep and closes the circuit.  But first you need to know if the switch itself opens and closes like it should, then go from there.