HybridZ

Getting my first V8Z, input?

Ever since I can remember, I have loved the Z car, especially the S30's. Shortly after that, I've always fantasized about getting an S30 and dropping a V8 in it. Pretty recently I scored a good deal on a 260, and started doing my homework on how to convert it to my dream car. Doing my homework and adding up the costs, things started to look pretty expensive. I realize it can be done for relatively cheap but if I did it, I would want it done right. Everything I put into it would be fresh, and rebuilt or new. I also don't have the space, spare time or resources to accomplish something like this without having to outsource most of the work, which I refuse to pay someone else to do work that I know I am capable and knowledgeable enough to do myself.

My 260

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Kegomatix/CAM00052_zpsuyu3hywy.jpg

So then I stumbled into this 77 280z if everything goes right I'll be picking it up Wednesday or Thursday. This will hands down be the cleanest Z I've ever had the pleasure to own. I searched high and low but couldn't find any rust. It has pretty much been made new again all around. Paint, engine, transmission, interior, suspension, wheels and tires, everything is damn near perfect. And he has a stack of receipts for all the work done. I know these cars, especially so far from stock, are worth what somebody is willing to pay for them, but do you guys think this is a decent value at $9000? I figure if I were to get my 260 into this shape I'd be much further than $9000 deep.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Kegomatix/Mobile%20Uploads/00s0s_iGvT3DEdCDS_600x450_zpsswfur4vi.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Kegomatix/Mobile%20Uploads/00g0g_aFwXeGqfXSE_600x450_zpsj9golusn.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v200/Kegomatix/Mobile%20Uploads/00z0z_3IQSIQ8eaKt_600x450_zps2mrt40x1.jpg

Edited by kegomatix

If there is no rust and everything works to your satisfaction it appears

To be a reasonable deal. If possible get it on a lift

And check the underside. What you can't see can hurt you.

Don't "play" the owner just be cautious. If its every thing you want in a car take the leap.

Of course you can expect some flaws here and there. Rust is what you're looking for, other than that it appears to be a decent car from what the pics tell.

I'm going to tell you how I would approach this as its the same way that I've approached buying both of my Z's. To me, it was Unicorn and to the seller it is as well but to most people, its not. He has a very small market. He needs somebody that not only wants a Z but will take it modified. Its a tough sell and depending on how long he's been trying to sell it he has probably found this. It looks clean and you should definitely get it up on a rack. But I'd start lower. I'd say 7,200 to get started. Its low but not so low that he just walks away. TV shows have gotten us all to the point where we wheel and deal. He will want to, I assure you. I promise you will find something or want to change something and every penny you save on the purchase price will help you make this car what you want. I'm not saying you should do anything underhanded but use supply and demand to your benefit.

Thanks, that's definitely a good idea to get it up on a lift. I looked underneath best I could but I know it's just an entirely different angle getting it up in the air. I know he has been trying to sell it for a while and has come down on the price in that time. One thing I know for sure I'd want to change eventually is the body kit. It's not too obnoxious, but I've just never been too much a fan of them. I'd prefer the stock look.

Looks nice from the three pics you posted.  What tranny does it have?  If it's not an overdrive transmission (i.e. 2- or 3-speed auto, or 4 speed manual), that should give you some negotiating power.  A V8 Z w/o overdrive is not much fun to drive on the highway.  

Good luck with it -- hope it works out for you.