HybridZ

Cracked padded dashboard repair kit

socorob

This kit is a little more advanced than the one I tried on my dash. I had a single hairline crack about a half inch long in the top of the dash in my '71 that I wanted to prevent from growing. The heat from the iron caused several more of the small cracks to appear around the repaired area :(

I'm thinking about starting this soon. I poked around on the net and found a few people on other forums who have used this with good results. I may give them a call today to ask them a few questions about it. I may have to go with a stupid dash cover anyway because the PO filled all the cracks in mine with liquid nails and use the cover on with it and its tearing everything up trying to get it off.

I had the typical cracks and all I did was V grove them out, fill most of the hole with epoxy then fished with body filler. A small fuzzy roller with black paint for the textured look and done. Lots of sanding. If you scroll down through the pics, you'll see the dash

https://www.flickr.com/photos/106921229@N08/

Can't wait to get this baby back.

I ordered the urethane supply stuff and it came in yesterday. Maybe next weekend I will have time to get started to see how it works out. I'm going to use great stuff foam instead of melting the rod because the tool was almost $300.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've seen that. I've also seen people using truck bed stuff to fix a dashboard, bumper repair stuff to fix a dasbboard, body filler to fix a dashboard, etc. In the work I do it's imperative to use the right thing for the right job, that's why I decided to use dash repair stuff to fix a dash. I know it sounds crazy....