HybridZ

1972 240z Procharged LS6, soon to be turbo!

I've posted this up on other forums, but I feel like since this IS the lsx forum I frequent, you guys might appreciate it a bit ;)

I've owned this car since I was 18 or so, and it has gone through MANY different motor combos. (Turbo i6, and about 6 different SBC setups) This final (Crossing my fingers on that) build is me doing what I ultimately wanted for it all the time, but could never afford to do. As I started, I found a TON of rot on my frame rails up by the engine, so I had to fix that before anything.
dsc00466wx.jpg
dsc00467l.jpg
dsc00468q.jpg

Had to cut out rotten sections
DSC00468.jpg

My close friend, Liz, is an amazing welder. She welded up framerail re-enforcement and filled all the holes under my hood from years of small screws being used to mount stuff.
DSC00472.jpg
DSC00471.jpg
DSC00476.jpg

After the welding was done, I POR15ed the whole underhood as best I could. I actually conned my girlfriend into doing most of it, hahahahahaha.
2010-09-13214033.jpg
2010-09-13214028.jpg
2010-09-13214011.jpg

Before:
DSC00457.jpg
After:
2010-09-13214021.jpg

My original plan was to use a buick v6 GN motor that I bought from a car that ran 10.70s at low boost and 3900lb curb weight. Unfortunately when I opened that motor up, I found someone had essentially thrown a grenade in it. Almost every internal hard part was destroyed, crank, pistons, heads, ect ect. When I found out how much it would cost me to build a buick motor with the power I wanted, I realized I needed to scrap the whole idea and pick another powerplant.

001.jpgThe "donor" motor
053.jpg

At this point I was picking up all the fuel system items, and re-wiring the car with a painless harness. Luckily I had my 10 second corvette to still mess around with so I wasn't too bothered by the set backs I was having. I took my time and made sure the wiring in the dash and for the lighting was absolutely perfect.

009.jpg

So I was pretty much at a standstill until I could figure out a motor for this car after getting the wiring done for the most part. At this point, my friend (Infidel on here) came up with the shitty idea of taking the corvette engine and putting it into the datsun, that way I can save myself from spending the next two years building an engine.
His car is the orange car
010.jpg

I pulled the vette motor, after putting together a stock ls6 to replace it with. Sold my fancy clutch, headers, ect, and returned the car to stock minus my trans/rear and a 160 tstat.
2010-08-15210958.jpg
2010-08-14173202.jpg

Old and new
2010-08-14180610.jpg

2010-08-29190615.jpg
2010-08-29190609.jpg
2010-08-29190603.jpg
2010-08-29190557.jpg
This is after hours of cleaning the motor. It was a dirty pig.

Bought a Mike's Ultimate TH400, and some other goodies for the drivetrain
2010-09-14204648.jpg
2010-09-14204639.jpg
2010-09-14202105.jpg
Liz made me a nice lil crossmember out of my old one for the car too
IMG_2335.jpg

And in it went! Fit quite nicely as just a long block. Unfortunately there were other fitment issues down the road.
2010-09-15210420.jpg

I started to do the basics, put the manifold on, wire under the hood (Used a summit harness) and plumb fuel system too
2010-09-20114348.jpg
DSC00564.jpg
2010-09-20114400.jpg
DSC00580.jpg
DSC00575.jpg
DSC00565.jpg

I tried to make the wiring as clean as possible, I feel like the pictures don't really do it justice. Next up was the accessories fitting. I got a beautiful bracket from AandA Corvette, and heavily modified a stock alternator bracket from a c5 to fit my car with a mini alternator (hi output from a chevy truck. 105amp I believe)
DSC00548.jpg
DSC00567.jpg
DSC00566.jpg
DSC00558.jpg
DSC00555.jpg
DSC00553.jpg
(Blower is reclocked now, obviously)
DSC00552.jpg
I might lay the radiator down for more clearance to fit an intake to a filter, since this really is a street car despite what people seem to think.

DSC00551.jpg

After the motor was pretty much done, besides fluids and intake/exhaust design I towed it to Scott's Speed and Custom to build be a custom trunk and get my cage up to certification.
2010-10-25174220.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, we felt that I didn't quite have the rear end that I wanted in the car. So I started by taking out the old suspension and rear end:
febmarch11003.jpgfebmarch11004.jpg
febmarch11005.jpgfebmarch11008.jpg

Then I cut everything out, so we can start "fresh" :)
febmarch11009.jpgfebmarch11010.jpg
febmarch11011.jpgfebmarch11012.jpg
febmarch11016.jpgfebmarch11017.jpg

While I was working on that, SS&C got to work on the intercooler piping and mounting. We ended up having to lean the radiator forward to clear the intake tube, so they made a nice new upper radiator support beam for me as well. Also they filled in any extra holes.
febmarch11030.jpgfebmarch11031.jpg
febmarch11033.jpgfebmarch11053.jpg
febmarch11034.jpgfebmarch11037.jpg

While Scott was working on the cage/rear end I redid some stuff.

My suspension up front looked like this:
febmarch11057.jpgfebmarch11055.jpg

So I figured, I might as well do it right since the rear half of the car is going to be so nice. I bought a 5 lug setup, all new bushings, new trailing arms, and a nicer coil setup. Also some brakes, and a matching front set of Tel-Star rims.
This is the result:
march11184.jpg
april11001.jpg
april11009.jpg
april11006.jpg
april11011.jpg
april11013.jpg

Next up I wanted to tidy a few things on the blower up. I mocked up the new 8 rib blower pulley, so I could measure belt length, and I figured out where I wanted to put the blow of valve. (Its now welded in, just don't have pictures yet. I think I am going to powdercoat the piping black)
april11017.jpg
april11021.jpgapril11022.jpg

I chose that location so that I wouldn't have fitment issues with whichever fan I decided to run.

While I was working, Scott and Alex were plugging away on the main hoop. (We had to cut out all the old stuff, and now they are redoing it CORRECTLY.
april11026.jpg
april11027.jpg
april11024.jpg
april11031.jpg
april11034.jpg

with how opened up the car is, Scott was able to remove the main hoop after tacking it together and getting all the angles perfect. Then he TIG welded it on a welding table to make sure it remained perfect.

cage is pretty much done except for door bars, and the frame is in the car. 4 Link is welded in as well. Once we get shocks/springs we will set the suspension up and start the tin work.

img1414ih.jpg
img1415lg.jpg

I ordered a belt for the blower, and finished the front brake lines. Still have to do a bunch of little stuff under the hood though.
img1413l.jpg

img1412uq.jpg
img1409ct.jpg
img1408lw.jpg

Got a belt measured up and it fits perfect. This tensioner setup has a manual and spring tensioner built into it. Pretty snazzy
datsun001.jpgdatsun002.jpg

I powdercoated the piping black, I think it cleans up the underhood a bit. Also changed my coil mounting design. The driver side coils were hitting the alternator and there just wasnt a clean way for me to relocate the one coil. I may relocate them somewhere hidden, but for now this is how they will sit.  
datsun010.jpgdatsun005.jpg

Scott made progress on the cage and tin work as well. The cage will be getting certed next week and the tin should be done as well. Getting close, finally.
datsun020.jpgdatsun018.jpg
datsun013.jpgdatsun015.jpg
datsun017.jpgdatsun019.jpg

Heres some updates. Got the car back home from Scotts. They did AMAZING work on the cage, tinwork, and painting the interior. I couldn't be happier. We still have to set up the rear end and do a final weighing of the car before I can go racing. (Though, I may have gotten to do an initial weighing just to see how much the car weighs. Its pretty light ;) ) Also there is a TON of work left to do at home, which I have been doing almost non stop since friday.

dsc01336f.jpg
Back in the garage, getting started.

dsc01338kw.jpg
Seats fitted, door bars done. (Done at Scotts)

dsc01339u.jpg
Still have so much to do under the hood. Chased some wiring gremlins, including not one but TWO bad relays on my summit racing LS1 wiring harness. Was not happy about that, but Picnic George hooked me up as always.

dsc01340k.jpg
Fuel tank installed for the last time. (I hope)

dsc01341bt.jpg
All this rear end, no more fragged rings and snapped axles for me! :D

dsc01342m.jpg
Running fuel system, since its a street car I ran check valves so that I don't have to cycle the pump to start the car. :D

dsc01346h.jpg
To keep my weldon in line I got a fuel pump controller. These new ones are TINY, seems to work well to keep the pump at a quiet level.

dsc01357zp.jpg
Speaking of fuel pumps. Also, if anyone is looking for a nice compact prefilter, summit carries these and they are not expensive at all.

dsc01347j.jpg
Carpets are for wussies. I think the bedliner interior really turned out well.

dsc01354xr.jpg
Fuel lines, CHECK! Battery cables and extra grounds, CHECK CHECK.

dsc01361k.jpg
Snazzy battery box that Scott built for me. And the obligatory shutoff switch for when I visit the track.

dsc01365vb.jpg
I like the HIDs, will help a lot for night driving. The old headlights were tragically bad...

dsc01364d.jpg
Getting closer....

Car has been home about a week. Got it running, and buttoned up almost everything. I still have some track only stuff left to setup but I will do that when I have time/money. All the little bits and pieces I had to use at the end here cost me an arm and a leg. Don't know when I will be able to afford the exhaust system...

datsunrun053.jpg

datsunrun062.jpg

datsunrun064.jpg

datsunrun067.jpg

datsunrun063.jpg

datsunrun066.jpg
Yes, I know I have the most wrecked hood ever. I'm gonna try to wetsand it so its presentable until I find a good cowl hood setup for the car.

datsunrun065.jpg

First time testing. This was after 3 hot laps, and no adjustments allowed since the track was about to close (Early :( )

I have since gone 9.3@147 with a 1.32 60' with the D1SC as well.

The car likes to wheelie on radials I found out though: http://vimeo.com/40401224

I changed quite a few things on this car as time progressed, as you all know is bound to happen with project cars. Different fuel pump (Holley Dominator, which I cannot say enough good things about), and many different attempts to eliminate belt slip. I bought an F1R and attempted to turn up the car a few notches, but ran into massive belt slipping issues. I figured out the car would need a 10-12 rib belt setup with a flip drive or a cog, which would end up being a $2000+ investment, and that I would be much better off with a different intercooler setup.

So I did the math and figured out that turbo is the way to go. After selling all my blower parts, and buying all the turbo materials, I am making a profit so far. In the end I think the changeover will end up costing me about $1000. I'm going to be using a BW S484 with a billet wheel, and should be making around 1100hp with this setup. (Motor is ready for it) Should be doing mid 8s this year, once I get it back together. I'll take pictures when I get the turbo stuff rolling if you guys want.

Edited by mistafosta

Looks familiar I'm stuck in the finish the cage section on my car. How much power did the supercharged setup put down?

It made around 750hp at 13lbs with a D1SC. I got the little D1 up to 15lbs before swapping it out, so I'm guessing 780-800? It was a long painful journey though, since everything I did fought be along the way, and I had no other vehicles to use as a reference or guide. I imagine the turbo setup will be a lot easier hahaha

How much interior space did you lose going with a mini tub and solid axle. I have seen a few Z's converted and my 6' 1" 190 lbs frame was cramped to say the least when trying to get in the seat.

Im 6'2" 240 so I'm no small guy. Lost about 2-3" legroom. Its a tight fit but not too bad. I've driven from san Francisco to reno for hot August nights with it and the space wasn't bad at all.

Sunny, I posted this on ls1 tech awhile back, so that's probably why.

How much power you plan on running through that R200? Id be curious to see how long that R200 LSD will hold up at 800+

r200 is long gone, I have a 9", which should hold up to around 1600hp..

Infidel has my old differential in his car now

The question was zirected at Z fan i thought he was one of the guys trying to run a FI LS motor in an S30

For some info, I ran a nitrous SBC setup with 600rwhp on mine without any issues. Slicks, 6 speed and launching off the limiter.

For some info, I ran a nitrous SBC setup with 600rwhp on mine without any issues. Slicks, 6 speed and launching off the limiter.

Thats good to hear. I will be putting mine to the test in the a month or two.. althought it will be high way runs at well over 600rwhp it will be interesting to see if it holds

I have run a built R200 (extra clutches) from old group buy with CV axles and Modern Motorsports billet stub axles for close to 8 yrs now. I have broken/snapped 2 or 3 CV axles but nothing else, knock on wood!  I am guessing around 600 rwhp max. My Turd ran low 6's in the 1/8th and 9.70's in the 1/4 mile plus a whole lot of street action too ;)