HybridZ

Fuel Pump Cut-Off

Hi, I'm looking into creating a fuel pump cut off switch in my l28et swapped 280z. I want to make one because I'm running megasquirt 1 v3 and often i want to upload and tune the car with it being off but with megasquirt still powered on and my problem is the fact that the fuel pump stay on. Not only does that drain my battery but also floods the engine. I'm not totally sure how to make one and I would like some help. From What I can imagine the switch would have to be between the megasquirt and the fuel pump relay. Is that correct? Thanks

Pin #37 on MS is a fuel pump relay ground. It will only turn the fuel pump on to prime for 1-2 seconds (depending on settings) and when the engine is running - engine RPM signal is detected.

If your MS is wired correctly to use a fuel pump relay, something is wrong if the fuel pump is always on.

Well the wiring on my car is all f'ed up (im not the one to do it. i just bought a ca that way). for example the whole ms is grounded on the little pieces of metal that the kick panel cover screws in instead of the engine block like megasquirt suggests. I want to redo the wiring but for now i need the fuel pump off.

The megasquirt actuated pump does kick on for a second or two and then only remains on when it notices rpm signals. Perhaps your pump is running off just the ignition signal?

If your engine is flooding from just the fuel pump being on, that seems like a problem. The injectors should be closed even if the pump is cycling. Perhaps your fuel pressure is too high?

When my car was carb'd I had a manual switch to turn the fuel pump off that I wired to the ground of the signal wire on the fuel pump relay. You can add it somewhere inconspicuous and use it as a theft deterrent as well.