HybridZ

Offset strut tops stripped threads

I have offset urethane strut top insulators, I have managed to strip the threads on one stud and a second stud is getting very close to stripping also. They're offset to give -1 degree camber so it's not a case of buying a cheap easy to source replacement.

Is there anyway to replace the studs in these top hats?

post-12875-0-78516100-1396253596_thumb.png

If you look at the underside of the top, the studs are pressed in (kind of like wheel studs). Press out the studs and look for a replacement from spare parts or source new ones. Glliw makes a great point that you can get them cut with new threads. Just make sure that you do not change the size drastically as this will affect strength of the studs.  

I've already run a die over them and the new threads are terrible, I think they are beyond saving. I didn't realise I'd have to de-bond the urethane to remove the studs, so I guess a new pair is required.

I got them used from a club member, They are available from Stuart Wilkins Motorsport in Sydney Australia $115ea. 

Good to know of another parts source that I hadn't heard of before.  Though, scrolling through their list, the prices seem to be insane!  It's a shame they don't have any pictures of their product on their website that I can see.

The Urethane upper insulators are known to break the threaded top section off the shock shaft.  Not enough flex in the urethane.  That's why camber plates run spherical bearings and the factory rubber insulators have a lower durometer (60A).

The Urethane upper insulators are known to break the threaded top section off the shock shaft.  Not enough flex in the urethane.  That's why camber plates run spherical bearings and the factory rubber insulators have a lower durometer (60A).

Oh, I hadn't heard of this before. I'm not sure of the hardness of the SWM items, although they are urethane they certainly aren't the hardness of energy suspension urethane. I should check the hardness, maybe see if they are available in rubber?

Natural rubber vs. urethane should make too much of a difference.  Both natural rubber and urethane can come in a variety of durometers.  There is a durometer tester that you can acquire to determine for certain what hardness they are but it won't matter much as suppliers of these parts don't advertise durometer so it's not like it will lead you to making an informed purchase of supplier A over supplier B.