HybridZ

Need help with wheel bearings and stub axle.

egzlilgituarboy9

So recently got my car back on the road. After 70 miles of driving rear driver side wheel bearing gave out on the highway at about 70mph. I have modern motorsports stub axles and companion flanges all rear wheel bearings were replaced before car was back on the road, so they also only have 70 miles on them. This has got scratching my head the passenger side is fine torqued them to about 150 ft/lbs did notice when I put them together they did have some resistance but when the wheel was on it felt OK. Anyways here is a picture of the damage please let me know what you think caused it. I'm leaning towards the axle is squeezing it too tight and causing a lot of heat.

I dunno man, thats ugly. What kind of drift did you use? I use a press and a piece of galvanized pipe from Lowes that presses on at the inner race. All I can figure is that the ball retainer was defective. Get another bearing and get back on the road!

I dunno man, thats ugly. What kind of drift did you use? I use a press and a piece of galvanized pipe from Lowes that presses on at the inner race. All I can figure is that the ball retainer was defective. Get another bearing and get back on the road!

Got on on order, gonna have it pressed in. Kind of weird that the passenger side one is fine.

My guess is lack of lube.  Failure in 70 miles is usually a lube issue.  There doesn't appear to be any residual grease in the bearing and the retainer looks blued from heat.  Did you pack grease into this bearing before installing it?   Its takes me about 5 minutes to properly get the grease into this bearing.

My guess is lack of lube.  Failure in 70 miles is usually a lube issue.  There doesn't appear to be any residual grease in the bearing and the retainer looks blued from heat.  Did you pack grease into this bearing before installing it?   Its takes me about 5 minutes to properly get the grease into this bearing.

Yea definatly spent time packing them pretty well use the little container you push on to pack it and finished it off packing it in with my hand.

what is the correct procedure to install bearings??  are they[in and out bearing] pressed into hub first and then the axle stub gets pressed through??  or is theouter bearing pressed on the stub and then that assembly pressed into hub??

what is the correct procedure to install bearings??  are they[in and out bearing] pressed into hub first and then the axle stub gets pressed through??  or is theouter bearing pressed on the stub and then that assembly pressed into hub??

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/rearwheelbearings/index.html

Search the driveline forum as your question will be answered there.  Many posts!

Do you have the correct spacers that go between the bearings?  The spacers are different lengths and are marked A, B or C. The letter has to match the letter stamped on the hub assembly.

Post some pictures of the stub axles with the bearings.

Bearing Preload: You are aware that the specs inlude a torque limit based on using a spring scale to  indicate effort required to turn the axle.  When that limit is reached you stop tightening the retainer nut.

It could be that you are over tightening the retainer nut.

post-178-0-76147300-1396668358_thumb.jpg

Edited by Miles

Somebody on this forum will have an assortment of spacers in their parts pile. Put in a want add in the classifieds. Which spacer do you have now? I think the B spacer is most common. Can you measure the length with a caliper so we know what you have? I might have one set of spacers, but my memory may be playing tricks on me. Lets all look under our work benches and see what we have. You get the measurement on what you have so we don't just send you the same thing. If I have what you need, it won't cost you anything.

Definitely think your spacers are the issue. Need to do the fish scale pull test to make sure you are not excessively preloading the bearings. When the nut is tight there should be just a touch of resistance when set right. The only way to adjust this is with different length spacers. You need a longer spacer and just a couple thousandths in length makes a big difference.

Edited by heavy85