HybridZ

HELP verifying everything is right

konradlip

NewZed: I agree, the megamanual could use work.

Surprisingly there isn't really a better per say. Both the distributor and the crank pulley are connected directly to the crank. If you were picking holes I guess the crank pulley is bolted on and the distributor is geared and then splined, so the crank pulley might be a little more accurate. We would be talking infinitesimally small though. If you have the crank pulley it would probably be easier to just go ahead and find a sensor and mount it. Saves you a lot of work. You wouldn't have to look for a stock sensor either, just a sensor that will be able to read the teeth. The two hall effect sensors on diyautotune would work, or if you are familiar with electronics, any 3 wire hall effect sensor could work as long as it had the resolution to make out the teeth.

Also the sensor will be much cheap than getting the turbo dizzy with the shaft. The wheel thats on there right now seems to have like 60 teeth or so. Do you think it would be a good idea to just get the wheel from dyiautotune. Alos if i do that what am I suppose to do with the two wires coming from my current dizzy. where are they suppose to be connected?

People have used the stock crank pulley wheel before, I don't see why you couldn't. Megasquirt has a slot to enter in the teeth information so it can decode a variety of teeth. You could order one just in case if you have the extra 30$ to spare. You would have to find a way to mount it though.

If it is an NA dizzy, it is going to have two wires going to a little black box. The little black box is called the E12-80, I'm a bit tired right now, but I believe it is an electronic ignition box, instead of a points style ignition. The E12-80 module is going to have raised letters, one with the letter C for coil and for with the letter B for battery. Right now it is stand alone, so feeding it power from the battery and letting it know when the coil is on, let's it know that the engine is running and can distribute the spark for you in whatever mechanical advance you have it set to.

If you have decided to feed megasquirt the crank orientation information, you are going to have to have a way for megasquirt to also control the spark. So those two wires will be used for your coil pack as they are still helpful (one is constant power, and the other will be an ignition power wire if memory serves). I believe EDIS is a popular option, coilpacks make things more complicated but it is also a feasible option.

I believe at this point it would be best if you read up on the manual as NewZed suggests. I can sit here and feed you the information, but it will be better if you can find the information yourself, plus I am new to all of this. It is a pretty good learning exercise to look at different people's msq, plus you would want to get tuner studio and take a look at how to adjust settings and update your megasquirt to the newest firmware for the newest options etc etc.

Good luck.

Little update. I decided to go the turbo dizzy way. Im still looking for a distributor itself but i already bought the oil shaft :). I decided that because of the fact that the current dizzy its just a pain and mounting a vr sensor and all the wiring would be way too complicated for me. As i understand the dizzy swap is pretty easy just take the old one out and put the new one in, but what should I change on megasuirt and tunerstudio. Should I remove the vr sensor connection? I also ordered a relay board and all new wiring for the car. The current wiring was just a mess and my time trying to figure it all out would cost more than the sum of all the parts.