HybridZ

Suspension Techniques vs MSA Sway Bars

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't laid eyes on them personally in person, but looking at the specs, the Suspension Techniques front sway bar is slightly thicker (25 vs 29mm).  It looks like you get a bit more hardware with TS than MSA.

Summit Racing advertises the ST 52095 kit as having a 25mm front sway bar. MSA advertises a 1" front sway bar. Basically they are the same size. The 240Z installation requires more hardware than the 280Z - compare the two kits available at MSA.

The ST kit is advertised for 240Z only. What are the issues involved with putting it on a 280Z?

The best way to search any site is on Google by the following method.

Enter the search topic in the window and follow it by site:xxxxx.xxx

For instance, to search the topic of rear sway bars on Hybridz.org you would enter:

rear sway bars site:hybridz.org

This way the ONLY results that are shown would be from Hybridz.org.

Edited by ktm

The only thing I did not like about ST is the powder coated color,Kermit green. The Kermit Green may work for some color combinations but not many. Powder coating is hard to remove though I did it. Then there is the expense of having them re-powder coated in a color that works with your color scheme. If ST would powder coat their product in lets say black like most parts under vehicles their customers would be happier with more cash in their pockets.

I installed the ST 240Z kit on my 280Z and would recommend it. It comes with new drop links to mount the sway bar behind the axle which is a much better location in terms of accessibility and exhaust clearance, and it looks good too. It was a bonus for me as the previous owner broke the the stock sway bar off running over a rock, I welded it back it but couldn't access all of it so it was likely flexing. 

The 240Z kit is also a bit smaller diameter, which is likely better if you're running higher than stock spring rates. 

Also the green is no longer, they're a metallic grey now. 

Do you have a picture of it mounted in your car?  Are you running an R200 or R180 diff?  Looks like it wouldn't work in my car with the R200 in my car, at least with the R200 LSD with finned aluminum cover, as you need to run the mustache bar behind the drop-downs, making it not possible to mount that way.  Would be nice to find a solution to run the rear mounted ST 240Z rear sway bar with this setup, but it doesn't look like it will be easy.

I installed the ST 240Z kit on my 280Z and would recommend it. It comes with new drop links to mount the sway bar behind the axle which is a much better location in terms of accessibility and exhaust clearance, and it looks good too.

Do you have a picture of it mounted in your car?  Are you running an R200 or R180 diff?  Looks like it wouldn't work in my car with the R200 in my car, at least with the R200 LSD with finned aluminum cover, as you need to run the mustache bar behind the drop-downs, making it not possible to mount that way.  Would be nice to find a solution to run the rear mounted ST 240Z rear sway bar with this setup, but it doesn't look like it will be easy.

280Z with R200, no issues. The kit comes with new drop links that have the ears for the sway bar brackets. Not sure the finned cover could pose an issue, I think the bar sits high enough it should be alright, but I can't say for sure. I don't have pics of mine, but here's one JohnC posted in this thread that you should find helpful. 

That is the question. I definitely prefer the idea of the ST 52100 parts which are larger diameter for the 280Z. My springs are relatively soft, 200F/250R and the car is fairly heavy, 1440F/1560R. The issue obviously is the rear bar clearing the finned cover on the R200 LSD.

Edited by Phantom

I went ahead and ordered just the ST rear bar for the 240Z (51075) and looks like it should fit (JohnC also thinks so). The only mod will be switching from the diff brace (to allow for the finned cover) to something more like Ross used to make for his R230 kit. Shouldn't be too difficult. I just like the rear mount setup as opposed to the MSA rear bar in the stock location. I'll be playing around with it this weekend when I install the T3 rear control arms.

Gary,

I have the same setup (240z ST kit, R200 3.70 LSD differential) and did not have any issues.  I do not have a finned cover so I could use the stock brace.  There are no issues with clearance.  The sway bar should clear the finned cover as it tucks up right under the mustache bar but you'll need a new brace.

Damn 13 mp camera on my phone shows shit I can't see looking at it!

post-1734-0-36809300-1397614724_thumb.jpg

Edited by ktm