HybridZ

I've been running a 3.70:1 R200 LSD out of an '87 300ZX turbo car bejing my LS1/T56 for 10 years and 35,000 miles. Udon ' trace the ca a lot but I tend to drive it pretty hard. The R 200 has given me no problems but, I didn't install the CV's on the half shafts so I've broken at least one ujoint and maybe a second. If you don't plan on 'burning rubber' or 'power shifting' a fresh set of ujoint a without grease seeks will probably be fine. Otherwise spring for the CV conversion. It would have paid for itself the first time I detonated a half shaft ujoint on the strip.

IDK!  I feel like I'm on borrowed time.  Going from 26X8.5s to 28X10.5 adds a lot of rubber for traction, but it also gives me more sidewall to absorb shock.  I also think I have SO much driveline slack in all the components.  I've never spent any time checking the ring-pinion lash when I've done the CLSD conversions, but I'm going to spend some time on the next diff I build up.  But, most of the slack seems to be in the T56 tranny!

In 8 plus yrs of racing I have broken 2 CV axles at the shaft. I switched to the cv axles because I snapped the old u-joint axles and stub axles all the time. My stub axles are Modern Motorsport billets now, never have snapped one of those....knock on wood!

1e1fzl.jpg

29bj3fo.jpg

I have a little elf slaving away for me in Arkansas in his shop...... this is a portion of my set up I will have........ I Hope I don't break these......

What do you have going on here? I recognize the Porsche 930 inner joints, but it looks like they're on a flange with a reluctor wheel, like a cobra inner stub. the outer looks like a cobra? Judging by the circular flange? You should post some details in the drivetrain section or somewhere!.

I'll be putting my DSS axles through their paces this year. The weak link will likely be the 29 spline 300zx outer CV joint. How weak? I'm not sure, but we'll see what 700+ HP looks like here in a couple months.

Edited by SUNNY Z

This rearend is not my creation.  It is from the mind of another member on the board.  31 Spline diff and axle in hopes that they will last.  This is still in development and will be ready to completely install in my 240z in a week or so.  This is all mocked up on a 280z.  I will let the fabricator chime in as he wishes. 

@ SunnyZ you are correct.  Porsche 930 inner and outer CVs, there is an adaptor plate that mate's the two up.  Once the fabrication has been completed I will have the fabricator post up details and information.  Out of respect I will hold off..... I know a tease.....

SunnyZ,

That setup Texis posted doesn't have that 29 spline weak link. The stub going through the hub is 33 splines, and its stocked at autozone. Keep your eyes open in the drivetrain section this weekend, and I will unveil the swap, with kits available soon.

-Will

This rearend is not my creation.  It is from the mind of another member on the board.  31 Spline diff and axle in hopes that they will last.  This is still in development and will be ready to completely install in my 240z in a week or so.  This is all mocked up on a 280z.  I will let the fabricator chime in as he wishes. 

@ SunnyZ you are correct.  Porsche 930 inner and outer CVs, there is an adaptor plate that mate's the two up.  Once the fabrication has been completed I will have the fabricator post up details and information.  Out of respect I will hold off..... I know a tease.....

No skin off my back. I've got a working set lol.

The reason I went with the smaller 29 spline axles is because I wanted to use the S13 4 lug hubs. If I ever go to the 5 lug, I have a set of Z32 TT stubs and hubs I can use, which are actually larger than the 31 spline inners.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with.

A few days after bragging about my rearend, I just snapped aCV axle. Pretty sure it is at the same place SunnyZ was snapping them. I think it is worth noting that I dead-hooked the car three times in a row from a 3000 rpm 2-step with 10.5" slicks onto a VHT coated track that was sticky enough to yank your shoes off. Either way, I just joined the club. If you are going to drag race it, think about a solid axle and be done with it.

• 2 months later...