HybridZ

Question about 2 outlets on L24

stayTRUE

Just got my 260z with an L24 running tonight. Have these 2 ports near my carbs that I don't have any idea about- can someone help me out? It seems to run a little bit stronger with them covered by fingers. Can these just be capped off? Not concerned about emissions.

Above right of the top carb, below left of the bottom carb in the first picture

a6NXH4l.jpg

ibAesTE.jpg

w4QZPI3.jpg

More precisely, these are the flow bowl vents to atmosphere. If you block them the float bowl cn get pressurized and cause fuel level variations, poor running, and other maladies. As WEBEZEEed said, these are normally connected to the air cleaner so that they see the air pressure at the inlet to the carburetor. If you have aftermarket air filters you can simply put a piece of tubing in each vent and loop it down so the free end points down to help keep dirt and water out. Some people use a small fuel filter in the vent line to further protect the fuel system from dirt and water intrusion.

If you aren't going to use the stock routing to the filter, route them away from the exhaust, and resist the urge to T, them. As Beermanpete says the are designed to vent to atmosphere, if you block them or T-them it can make the float levels all funny.

If your valve sticks you will overflow the bowl and it will squirt out of the top of the nipple. If you just have it covered and the pressure builds up it can pop off the cover and spill gas onto the hot headers and you can guess what happens.