HybridZ
johnc

New S30 Shock and Spring Option

I say it dropped just over an inch. I didn’t really pay much attention to how much since I was more interested in the spring rates. I can take some measurements from the fender to the center of the wheels if that helps. Just note that the car is gutted, with a race seat, and a cage but still all the A/C components.

Here is a picture from last month’s autocross before I did the suspension. Wheel gap is pretty big.

DSC_6081.JPG

14783893949_6d645273f6.jpg

This is right after in installed the springs and lowered it back on the ground. It has settled some since

14947613716_ee6d131dea.jpg

Edited by PseudoSport

Thanks for the pictures, those are good enough.  There are still well-established name brand springs being sold out there that don't do what they're advertised to do, or give odd results, like the Eibach progressive rate springs.  People are still buying those, installing them, then asking why the front is higher than the back.  Always good to confirm that products do what the manufacturer thinks they're going to do, in my opinion anyway.  Mistakes get made.

+1 NewZed, that's basically what happened to me. Not thrilled about the saggy-looking rear on my new Eibach set up. PseudoSport's car looks a lot more even front/rear.

Here are the spring rates:

The 240z rates are 152 fronts and 170 rears

Assuming these are given in lb/in, then the front rate is 54% higher than stock (83 lb/in) and the rear rate is 60% higher than stock (103 lb/in) which is reasonable for a street car, and sounds like the rates were developed for the Zcar as opposed to being designed for some other vehicle and just happen to fit the S30. Also remember the "drop" amount varies based on aftermarket shock gas pressure which adds to the spring rate, etc etc.

edit: John C or anyone, any idea if these springs have limited availability? I'll ask brandcarparts what their stock looks like but from some posts on this thread it doesn't sound like they're all that responsive.

Edited by bacarl

I'm looking for a set of springs for my 72 240z to match with some Tokico Illuminas I have (not yet on the car). I currently have MSA "blue" lowering springs and KYB struts. An ok setup but sits a bit higher in the front than I want and a bit of squat when I get on it. I wanted to get the Tokico springs as they seem to pair up fairly well based on a friend's setup but I'm being told they won't be made anymore. How will these springs do with the Illuminas? And will the drop be about the same as the MSAs? 

I don’t have any new pictures since the car is kind of an eye sore but our team quad drove it for one autocross then dual drove it for 3 others. Over all we only put maybe a 1000 miles on it but so far so good. We plan to race Chump Car with it this coming Aug so hopefully I will have some more feedback after.

Just an update.

I purchased these about 4 months ago and so far I love them. Huge difference from my old stock shocks. The springs are nice as well, I don't get much squat when I launch at the drags or do a 3rd gear pull getting on the freeway.

I got the 240z ST sways as well, and I've eliminated A LOT of my body roll, it feels flat and smooth now during corners.

For how cheap this set was, I'd recommend it. 

Also, I'm running BF Goodrich Comp-2's 225/50r16 all 4 corners on XXR 522 16x8 0 offset.

I've yet to get to the AutoX events here yet to fully test them out, but I have been able to play in some empty parking lots and the handling feels like a whole other car.

Also, for everyday driving (this is my Daily) it's actually very nice over bumps and just cruising. I took it from Vegas to California and back. It was a comfortable ride. The drop is nice as well(roughly 2 finger gap with 24.9dia tires, I'll see if I can get some photos later.

Edited by Milenko2121

I didn't have any spacers in mine as far as I saw.

I just cleaned the tube and put some light weight cheap autozone oil in it. The install was one of the easiest mods I've done for how big the effects were.

I will warn you, be careful with that nut on the top of the strut. It is a D shape to fit in the strut mount and I had my slot strip on me(this was a pain in the ass to fix because the nut was on and it spun freely).

Here is a photo of the drop after 4 months of daily driving and a little bit of fun.

Tire diameter is 24.9 stock is 24.7 so it shouldn't be too different.

Before (stock)

post-26144-0-96053200-1436492872_thumb.jpg

After

post-26144-0-33278600-1436492562_thumb.jpg

Edited by Milenko2121

Thanks guys....this thread has been helpful.  I want to order the Vogtland springs for a late 260Z/280Z  from Brandcarparts.

I assume the photo on their website is incorrect (smaller at one end and progressive wound). http://brandcarparts.com/1975-1978-nissan-datsun-280z-vogtland-lowering-springs-kit-1-25-drop.html

The picture on this ebay listing looks correct (no taper and linear wound).  http://www.ebay.com/itm/VOGTLAND-GERMAN-LOWERING-SPRINGS-fits-NISSAN-DATSUN-260Z-280Z-1975-to-77-1978-/400786161518?fits=Make%3ADatsun%7CModel%3A260Z&hash=item5d50b77f6e:g:-uQAAOSwDN1UNiMy&vxp=mtr

Are these the ones Brandcarparts send even though their web picture is different?  Can any of you 280Z Vogtland spring owners confirm?

Also, I plan to buy struts.....would Tokico Illuminas be worth the added cost as opposed to HPs?

Edited by CarolinaTZ

I purchased the full kit from brandcarpart for a 1975 280z and the rear struts were to short to install. The springs seem fine but will need to get back to you on how the struts go. I am hoping they send me the correct struts. The drop was perfect on my Z but I have the old struts in the back. 

I purchased the full kit from brandcarpart for a 1975 280z and the rear struts were to short to install. The springs seem fine but will need to get back to you on how the struts go. I am hoping they send me the correct struts. The drop was perfect on my Z but I have the old struts in the back. 

Sounds like they sent you 240Z shocks for the rear. What part number did you get? Below should be the correct ones.

#552205 240Z rears

#552206 260-280Z rears

Did they ship you the correct rear Struts? I'm going through the same thing. I got them about 2 weeks ago and didn't have time until yesterday to mess with it but saw that the rears didn't fit. Looking at this thread it looks like they sent me the 240 rear Struts

You can just add a spacer (from a piece of pipe) to make up the distance on the rear strut.  That's what Tokico does.  Same strut on all four corners, two use a spacer.  Seems like the distributor in this case just never got their database right and now they're screwed up forever.  One of the downsides of the new technology age - mistakes tend to be permanent.  There's a company out there advertising CV axles for 240Z's because somebody assumed and put it in to a database.

Did they ship you the correct rear Struts? I'm going through the same thing. I got them about 2 weeks ago and didn't have time until yesterday to mess with it but saw that the rears didn't fit. Looking at this thread it looks like they sent me the 240 rear Struts

Yes, I eventually got a hold of the vendor and they shipped me the correct rear struts and let me keep the other ones. I had already installed the 240Z struts with a piece of pipe so i kept them in the car and did 3 races on those before swapping in the correct ones. Only reason I swapped in the correct ones is because I had the rear suspension apart anyway. Over all I'm happy with the setup and its held up well.

Posted (edited)

Going to bump "stop" this nearly a year later with my results having recently installed them on a 240Z.

As one can see, the set is two different designed springs, not the similar looking ones used on the 280s.  I installed the VA in the front and the HA in the rear (not entirely certain this is correctly labeled by whomever manufactured them) as specified by previous posts.  

On the ground the Z looks level and has even gap front/rear and rides very well, not jarring, not bumpy, smooth and quite comfortable.  The measured drop from oem springs to these is approximately 1.6" in the front and .75" in the rear with the drivers side being 0.125" higher than the passenger side to accommodate drivers weight.

The one area of concern is with the front coils being near coil binded throughout the entire length, which makes for only an inch or slightly more (not actually measured) of actual travel...I was wishing for more as I don't need to be this low.  I understand its due to the design of a progressive spring including coil bind as a "helper" but why even design a spring to be this compressed with such a short travel?

With the sheer lack of info on the manufacturing run of these through Vogtland and the added lack of info from any vendor which sold these I'm really wondering if the springs need to be swapped front to rear as similarly reported over the years with users of Eibach getting all confused as the F/R stampings changed from Eibach to MSA through their change-over.

I haven't measured the actual spring rates of these other than accepting the data originally posted by JohnC (The 240z rates are 152 fronts and 170 rears), but I'm wondering how the balance and handling will be affected by the swap if done???

It's too bad there are such few options remaining for Z lowering springs on the market today.  With most going the coilover route I can see why, but for those who don't want to go that route it's tough to find a well balanced solution.

Vogtland Kit:

Vogtland 240Z Kit

Vogtland Front w/vehicle weight:

20668172 10209896220777675 1861731534 N

Vogtland Rear w/vehicle weight:

Vogtland Rear

Another discontinued lowering spring option was Tokico, very similar results to above.

Tokico Front w/vehilcle weight:

Tokico Front

Tokico Rear w/vehicle weight:

Tokico Rear

Edited by AdreView