HybridZ

300zx cv axles shortened for Techno Toy rear end & R230

I am fitting the Techno Toy rear end conversion to my 260z. I have sourced the donor components from a z32 300zx but decided to shorten the axles myself as the cost of sending over and back to US from Aus was prohibitive. I have read all I can about this subject but i get conflicting opinions from both the threads on here and elsewhere and as there are a number of different axles / spline assemblies it is very type specific.

My setup has an R230 VLSD with the 5 spoke diff stub axle outputs. These match to the 5 spoke CV shafts which are different lengths due to the Diff offset in the 300zx (RHS is longer). I have found a shop which will make me up new shafts, not a problem (I can't re-use the shafts I have as they narrow down in the section where I would need to cut the new splines). My problem is dismantling the wheel side CV assembly. The diff side is no problem - snap ring off, turn the assembly, balls drop out etc... But the manual says the wheel side cannot be dismantled then proceeds to say it can be taken off the shaft by using a slide hammer pulling on the wheel stub nut to pull the assembly off the shaft. Now, I may be missing the point completely but I can't see any way looking at the assembly that this can be done without breaking the circlip that holds the splined end into the ball race? The assembly casing looks close welded to me. Does anyone know how this can be done? Also, how do you re-install it ? Does the casing come apart when you give it enough welly? This latter action is the only way I can see that the shaft can be exposed and the cir clip then taken off ( and re-installed) but I can't see a joint on the assembly.

If this is a factory sealed unit and thus can't be taken apart at all then does any Z'der in Aus know a CV manufacturer who will make new complete axles? Pics attached.

Thanks all.post-40048-0-08558900-1397254871_thumb.jpgpost-40048-0-93886400-1397254913_thumb.jpg

This link might help.  He used a big hammer on the inside CV, but had tripod on the outside.  Can't see the circlip in your picture so can't tell if it's the square-edged type or the rounded, bent wire type.  The round ones are meant to compress to fit through the various holes they're used on, then snap open on the other side.  Might give you some ideas anyway.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php/topic/72805-using-pathfinder-and-zxt-axles-to-install-30-spline-nismo-lsd-kit-56k/?&p=692101&fromsearch=1&do=findComment&comment=692101

Thanks - very helpful. I think it is a snap ring (shows one in the exploded view I have from the Z32 manual). That explains why it says it can't be dismantled but then shows slide hammer.

Will get the big 'Omma out !!  :o

Edited by andypurce