HybridZ

Which Gearbox is this??

buddabeast

Hi people,

I bought a new gearbox for my LD28 85 Laurel, as the last one cracked in two.

I was sure I had the FS5W71B long shaft box and that is all I needed.

The new box I got was the long shaft 800mm but the stick pivot area is totally different and so is some of the housing, as you can see in photos.

Bell housings look the same, as they should as they were both on LD28's (although the new one was in a Bedford van)

Anyone know what these boxes are?

My original box says L5 NMCA (it's the one covered in oil)

The new box I have says L3 NMCA and #3 on the tail housing.

Thanks for any help!!

post-27200-0-10905500-1397467470_thumb.jpg

post-27200-0-86132700-1397467624_thumb.jpg

post-27200-0-63955300-1397467753_thumb.jpg

post-27200-0-23971700-1397467847_thumb.jpg

post-27200-0-86743400-1397467913_thumb.jpg

That looks like a 240sx S13/s14 trans (with the rectangular plate on top ) and an older datsun trans. Someone may have frankenstiened a newer transmission together. I think you guys had the SR20's over there that could explain that. 

Good news is that I think the driveshaft will work as long as its the correct length. Could be wrong I can't remember if mine fit or not. 

I have found out that my original oily box is a 71C with a L6 bellhousing. And that is a completely standard box, quite rare. Was the last of the boxes for the LD28, came in C32 Laurel and Leopards only.

Box I bought is a standard L-series box. Don't think I can swap the internals. So plan is to buy a 71C box - maybe Rb20 and then use a L6 bell housing on it. Would basically make what I had.

Cheers.

I don't see the cracked in two on the old greasy box.

The links belwo might give you some ideas on front case/bellhousing swaps.  Since the end product is basically in 71B form except for length, you might be fine with just a 71B transmission.  The output shaft is the same.  You just need to check driveshaft length.

Or, since your old one already has the 71B front on the 71C back, it might be an easy swap,  Bearing hole, clearance and shifter hole are already done.

Weird that Nissan was already doing the swap.  Maybe that's where the idea came from.

http://www.motortopia.com/cars/1973-datsun-240z-11118/car-pictures/240sx-transmission-swap-14041/DSC04293JPG_Thumbnail1.jpg-266482

http://home.comcast.net/~zheimsothtn/transmission.htm

If you look hard on the first photo you can see it cracked on the bellhousing, just before the angle starts to increase to make the bell shape.

The internals are buggered I think. They are what caused the housing to crack something has come way loose. And its only just drivable but bearly I don't even know if it's rebuildable.

May be interesting to put the 71B box in there will look into it.

I can do the repair, but it simply isn't worth it.

ANY 240SX transmission will physically fit, but will be 2" longer. They also only got stronger the newer the box gets.

If you have the gearshift stick from the trans you bought, it'll work fine save for the weird plate welded on the top of the case...that's certainly not standard there...

The shifter will be sloppier than the original, but the gearset isn't any different.