HybridZ

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911

Not sure where I said "strut top" at, but I believe Jon has it correct. When I refer to strut tower, I am talking about the whole assembly that the hub and strut will bolt to. The LCA will bolt to the strut tower. The dodge intrepid hub, which is a standard bolt on hub like many newer cars, will bolt to the strut tower. A bolt on strut tube which houses the insert will bolt to the strut tower/backing plate. I have attached a picture of the fabricated strut tower with the strut tube bolted to it. Please excuse the awful picture and rusty metal. The large hole in the middle is where the intrepid hub sits. The to bolt holes on the left side hold the Wilwood 4 piston caliper. The strut tube is bolted on in this photo. For future discussions, I will refer to this whole assembly as the strut tower. This assembly without the strut tube bolted to it I will call the backing plate. And the strut tube houses the strut insert(Koni single adjustables in this case).

This setup sounds intriguing. For everyone's clarity though, what you're referring to as strut tower is typically called an upright, sometimes knuckle or spindle as well. A strut tower is part of the unibody where the strut mount bolts to.

Looking forward to pics of the whole setup!

So as already stated, Upright is probably the proper term, so I will use that. Sorry for any confusion caused, I think I've been calling the upright multiple different names throughout this swap lol. My 6061 for the mustache bar came in today, so hopefully I will get that finished up tonight and will post pictures.

-Will

Nice deal on the trak-lok. Only thing is, the SRA 8.8 differentials are slightly different compared to the IRS 8.8s. The difference being the way the axles go in. The IRS stuff uses circlips similar to the R200, the solid axle uses old fashioned c-clips. If you snap IRS axles in a SRA differential, you will have an incredibly hard time getting them out(Just getting them out of an actual IRS diff is hard). The spider gears need a bevel on the side of them to help compress the circlip, the easy way would be just to have  a machine shop bevel them, and is probably worth it if you get a good deal on a SRA diff. Or at least this is what the internet has told me.

Bout to head over to the car to get some work done. Uprights and stub axle adapters were fully tig welded on Friday. Rear mustache bar should be done, just need to mock up for fitment. Will try to get some photos posted up later tonight

-Will

We like photos! Hell I like packages better!! lol... No need to rush now.  Just make sure it is right.... remember the last time I "built" a vehicle I went through 4 transmissions, 1 rearend, and severed 6 of 8 body mounts from the cab of the truck..... I only had it for 4 years...... ( all be it a Chevy SWB Z71 lifted on 35" tires) anyway my point is that in my mind if it is build to go then I will push it!!!! I have faith in you. 

Keith, the 8.8 uses a 31 spline inner stub axle. Cobra guys put a lot of power through these things. The Intrepid hub and the F150 outer CV are 33 spline. Sorry for the confusion. I haven't looked too in depth, but I don't recall ever seeing a broken 31 spline 8.8 stub, maybe SunnyZ can chime in on that?

-Will

DSS actually started making larger billet 33 spline stubs because some of the big hp tanks (dodge challenger @4500#) were breaking the 31 spline ones with massive amounts of power (1000+).

Other than that limited instance, I'm sure failure is not a concern.

Here's where I buy all my ford diff parts.

http://www.buyfordracing.com/products/8.8--TRACTION%252dLOK-LIMITED-SLIP-DIFFERENTIAL-31T.html

$219 shipped for a New 31 spline trac lock

If you were to read previously in the post Will had a Baja event to go to for school as he was a part of the build team.

He was trying to get things wrapped up prior to his other obligations with family, school, and work. (The more important things in life)

You a re correct he has a version of this set up on his car but it is not the one he is coming to market with. He has made several improvements and wanted to show them.

I am fine with waiting, as I am the one funding the parts and labor at this point, so shouldn't you be too?

Just be patient.

For the record, I'm currently attending college as well (a very demanding electronics engineering program), I fully understand the lack of time.

But it takes minutes to crawl under a car and snap a few pictures to show some perspective on what is being discussed. 

We're already well through page two, with no pictures, IMO something like this should have had pictures in the first post, even if improvements are planned.

I just don't understand the resistance to showing off something that is working and is supposed to be the "ultimate" set-up. Did the OP not take any pictures when putting it together originally that could be shown?

Let's see. You're angry there's no pictures on an unfinished rear end setup that could be the best for an s30 chassis and you're being pushy. Personally I'm waiting on it to be completed at his speed so it's done right and powder coated or the final design with all the bugs worked out. It's worth the wait. I see jacked up prices for your kit lol. Let the man breath I hated my civil engineering finals with 6+ core classes each semester for the final 2 years of college.

To the OP, good luck on finals and take pics when it's done. There's no need to rush it, the cars have been out for 44 years (older than us lol) and a little longer wait won't kill us.

Props on designing it from the wide array of parts used I can't wait to see the final product! (Now stepping off of soap box)

Edited by EastTnZ

The OP should take a marketing class before he gets out of college.  Or texis300 should.  This is a classic violation of product marketing principles.  Tease, frustrate, alienate.  It's not wrong, and it's not right, it's just how people work.  This scenario is typical in bigger business - texis300 is the business manager who wants to show progress, wfritts is the engineeer with the product that's not ready but folds to pressure to release it.  The customer complains, the engineer gets a poor review, ends up quitting or gets fired.  The idea is panned as "it didn't work".  A great idea dies on the vine.

Actually, wfritts should take a Masters level marketing class and use this thread as a case study.  Probably get an A.

Not criticizing, just an impartial observation.  Kind of amusing.