HybridZ

The "Ultimate" IRS Swap for S30s

wfritts911

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Support you local O'Reilly Auto Parts.  Their MasterPro CV axle shaft 60-2112 worked for me.

I was excited to see the cv was stamped with the Ford logo.  I was even more excited when the "star' slid on the chromoly axles.

Your mileage may vary, but I didn't do so well with the Cardone CV axles. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I have one of Will's kits and was going to sell it a while back. Ended up keeping it and I'm glad I did because it is a great kit. I run a small company that already allows for me to be full time in the shop and I have tossed around with my fabricator the idea of producing more of these kits, exactly like Will's to allow for guys to swap the 8.8 into the S30. I realize there are more options now for guys then when I bought my from Will. 

I am just testing the waters here but "if" I could produce the exact same kit for around the same price as Will's (1500) in a reasonable timeframe would anyone be interested in purchasing them? 

PM me or reply on this thread with your thoughts...

• 3 months later...

Well. I learned a lesson that not all CVs are the same.

I spent the day tearing them both down and on assembly(both CVs themselves greased and back together) find that the stars/axles on the pair that I bought have different splines than the 930 shafts/CVs.

They are for an F150 in the correct year range.

The CARDONE SELECT 662112(which I'm assuming are what others bought)  are re-man'd FoMoCo ones.

The SURTRACK FD8023 ones I ended up with obviously are not.

Both are on the same RockAuto page when you search the 3L3Z3B436AA number in the pdf from Will.

They do still fit into the intrepid hubs.  Without taking them apart(at least peeling the boot back) there's no way to tell that there is a difference.

Getting the axles that looked like they were $13 cheaper, cost me a whole day and the $100 for the ones I've now cut apart.

I also noticed while cleaning up the 8.8 I bought from a junkyard that one of the rubber washer deals is missing from the mount near the pinion.

The axles in question:

<snip>

Apart:

<snip>

Still fits in the hub:

<snip>

But, clearly won't work with the 930 axles:

<snip>

At least having a pipe vise made cutting the axles easy:

<snip>

I didn't see a reason to take the inboard side apart, I only pulled the boot to see if it would have been worth the trouble.

Thank you for posting all this good info. I finally picked up my F150 axles at an O'Reilly's distribution store, and they came out to $55.99 each, part # 60-2112 (remans), but with limited lifetime warranty. $10 core charge each, and $10.99 tax. They have the Ford stamps on them.

However, I found an incredible bargain for the Intrepid hubs at RockAuto so ordered from there...$36.51 for two, and that includes $8.99 shipping.

• 1 month later...

texix30O can you post up the spreadsheet please.  I lost my copy some how...

Still waiting patiently for someone to start producing Will's design.  I have the Explorer diff and axles but holding off gathering other parts till I can source the custom machined parts that are crucial to making this swap work.

It would be nice to have the CAD files so I can have a friend make the parts.

J

A well thought out and made CAD drawing takes time to perfect. Given that Will was selling these, asking to buy the CAD file may be appropriate, asking to be given the file a little less so. 

If your friend can CAD go out and buy the parts and hand them over. It really isn't hard to make up the appropriate mounting faces and simple brackets if you are used to modeling, finding a shop willing to do a small prototype run affordably is going to be the challenge.