HybridZ

Building an L28 (NA)

TheCrazySwede

Ok, so my build has taken a rather different turn.

I've gotten to the point in my research where I have learned all the things I wanted to know in order to start off a build. 

I have spoken a lot with Dave Rebello and I have come to the decision that I did not want to take my motor down that route. This is not because of Dave's lack of professionalism or talent, but more in terms of needs. The different motor builds, the more I looked into them, all sounded nice, but none of them really fit what I wanted. The power figures were all nice, of course, but I decided that I didn't want an all out powerhouse of an engine....instead, I wanted a responsive one.

After talking to a few people who have worked with him before, I have decided to go with Eiji at DSI. This guy is just great. I've never encountered customer service and eye for detail on his level before. After many, many lengthy emails and phone conversations, we finally have a build down that I am completely satisfied with....well, my wallet isn't, but that's a different story!

I'll update this thread with the build details as they happen, but in short, the engine will be:

- L28 Crank

- N42/N42

- Block bored (89mm)

- DSI Pistons and Rods (I believe they are 29mm Kameari Pistons (280g!!) with custom 139.5mm rods.)

- *Cam is under consideration

- Triple 45 DCOE Webers

- Compression Approx. 10.5 - 11.0

- Power Approx. 260/250

I'll update this thread with any updates!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I didn't want an all out powerhouse of an engine....instead, I wanted a responsive one."

That is a confusing statement. Can you expound on that a bit? Torquey? 

Nah, not necessarily torquey.

I'm thinking more in terms of engine speed. I asked about the different pistons and rods, etc. that Rebello uses on his builds and then looked around and found some Japanese pistons (Kameari) that weight around 280g (compared to the 432g pistons Rebello uses.) Eiji uses those and his own rods, too, which weight in about 300g lighter than the L24 ones. I wrote down all the specs from both engine builders, and when comparing the two, I liked the numbers I was getting from Eiji. Included in the build is also a 9lbs Flywheel, which will drastically help regardless of what else you're rocking inside.

In short, I like the idea of having lightweight and strong internals that can handle a high-revving conditions and get there in a quick manner. That's what I mean with responsive. The same power figures with Rebello has me running on race gas (~12:1CR) with a LD28 crank and some sacrifice in every day drive ability. Eiji's build (because of the different parts he uses and how he works the heads) has me getting close to the same power figures, can run on pump gas and the engine operates extremely quick for a street motor. I've spoken to a few people on different forums, and one guy has had motors built by both parties (Rebello and Eiji) and he preferred the way the lighter engine operates. He has, so far, ordered 3 builds from him. No idea what he's up to with those, haha. He emailed me videos of his car (it's a white 240 with a black hood), so I'll ask him if it's ok if I share them.

Edited by TheCrazySwede

• 4 weeks later...

Where's it going? Eiji or Rebello?

Edit: Didn't read, it's going to Eiji. Keep us posted on your experience with him. I've heard tons about people who have dealt with Rebello, but not much about those who have dealt with Eiji.

Will do!

So far, I've had about 50+ emails sent back and forth with Eiji on the other end. He is very professional and courteous. I'll keep things updated as the build commences.

Ah I was considering ordering someJE pistons with a similar compression height to use with maxspeed's fj20 140mms rods. I believe they are actually lighter than DSI's and a helluva deal at $450. Figure I could get most the advantages for about half the price.

Very curious to see how your build turns out. I've shared a few emails with Eiji a few times, very nice guy. His SPL heads are gorgeous.

Ah I was considering ordering someJE pistons with a similar compression height to use with maxspeed's fj20 140mms rods. I believe they are actually lighter than DSI's and a helluva deal at $450. Figure I could get most the advantages for about half the price.

Very curious to see how your build turns out. I've shared a few emails with Eiji a few times, very nice guy. His SPL heads are gorgeous.

I believe the 139.5mm Kameari FJ20 Rods are the same ones Eiji uses, along with Kameari Pistons.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since any updates, hows your motor coming along?

As of now, Eiji hasn't started work on it. I asked him to hold off until after New Year to start on it, for financial reasons.

I think my final bill is around $12k with shipping costs and all, and currently I'm about half-way clear. If he had started on it already, I wouldn't have the full amount paid by the time he'd be done with it, so I asked him to start later so I could pay him accordingly.

Thanks for checking in! Once the build actually begins, I'll update you guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Swede does Elji do all machining in house? Also in your discussions with him did he mention whether he uses a torque plate?

Yup, all done in house, from what I understand. No mention of torque plates. I've had about 60 emails with him thus far and most of them have been regarding goals and motives and not so much about actual procedures. As I've mentioned, this is my first involvement with an L28 build, so throwing out procedures first hand would result in everything flying over my head and just cause confusion on my end. I have since done a lot of research and can now better understand the work being done to this motor, so Eiji is going to follow me along as the build progresses.

My god cannot wait to see this come together.

Tell me about it! I am really excited. Having spoken to Eiji about the goals for this motor, I have come to the conclusion of what exactly it is that I want. I want this motor, and eventually the whole car, be a representation of what a Japanese supercar of the 60's would have been like. Something that would fit right into the same alley of 250GTO's, D-Types and GT40's, as examples. I compete in a lot of motorsport (started karting when I was 4-5) and I've had the honor of driving a lot of these ol' supercars at historic events. There's an essence there that modern cars simply don't have. The Z, to me, has that essence, but it's missing the character. The motor, I figured, would be the heart and soul of the build, so that's why I wanted to start with it first. I eventually want to turn the whore car into an ol' supercar, which should prove to be a lot of fun!

• 1 month later...

I looked at your build and all your picks. It looks awesome!!! Super great!

I have just be learning about the L28 and I just put my first one together, kinda practice. I'm going to build a good one soon. I found some good ideas like the l24 crank and rods with the flat tops you have .. It's kinda a high rev short stroker, I think I aquired one by luck. But you might really like that build.

Also, why not go ITB with a MS vs the carb. It's about the same price if not cheaper an IMO way better. I ran carbs on two different motors, and with ethnol in the gas it makes tuning your carb a constant project....I'm not a fan.

But I'm stoked for your build, it looks great. I'm excited to see more!

-Luke