HybridZ

Building an L28 (NA)

TheCrazySwede

I looked at your build and all your picks. It looks awesome!!! Super great!

I have just be learning about the L28 and I just put my first one together, kinda practice. I'm going to build a good one soon. I found some good ideas like the l24 crank and rods with the flat tops you have .. It's kinda a high rev short stroker, I think I aquired one by luck. But you might really like that build.

Also, why not go ITB with a MS vs the carb. It's about the same price if not cheaper an IMO way better. I ran carbs on two different motors, and with ethnol in the gas it makes tuning your carb a constant project....I'm not a fan.

But I'm stoked for your build, it looks great. I'm excited to see more!

-Luke

Yeah, I've read about these "stroker kits" people have for their Z's. I wanted something more unique and special, so I when I came across Eiji's resume and what he can offer; I was in love.

The thing about the carbs is very personal for me. As I've mentioned before, I am no veteran of building motors. This is my first involvement in a build. I also have no experience with Weber carbs, let alone three of them. The reason I insist on having them, despite some members advising that I don't due to their complexity, is because I grew up loving them. One of my favorite cars from childhood is the 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO. To me, cars just don't get better than that. When I first saw a 250 start-up in person, my ears melted to the sound of the carbs...all six of them! I've been lucky enough to have been in contact with many GTO's since then, and their sound is by far my favorite thing about the car. In fact, the GTO is what led me to fall in love with Z's. To me, it's the Japanese GTO. It has the styling and definitely has the performance capability....but it doesn't have the engine. That's the whole reason why I'm doing this build to begin with...a super car needs a super car engine, which is what my Z is getting. Why the Weber carbs? Because those are the same ones the Ferrari's ran on their engines. In short, I want to make my Z a fantasy super car that never really happen. My own Datsun GTO...

Sorry for the long and historical reply regarding my adolescent years, haha. But now you know.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well for sure :-) I don't know anyone who was bummed that their motor sounded awesome.

I actually really like the old ferrari sound. I just got an old abarth exhaust for my Z because on a good motor they sound awesome. I was kinda surprized when I got it but the pipe at its largest is 44mm or 1.8". It also has a lot of restrictions, like poor bends and serious stenoses in the resistors. I'm going to run it as is. If it sucks I'll just run a dual abarth, which will probably happen. I'll post a sound clip when it's running.

I have been reading a lot about itb's. I think they sound awesom as well, I plan to run them when I get a MS working. I have been looking at building them vs buying them. You can get a good set up for around 1000-1500, maybe a litte less. I figure you can build a dcoe spaced one for about $500.

It will be awesome to see your motor run. Thoes pistons are sweet. That company makes valves that sound pretty awesome too.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I noticed that you say that this build is around final cost $12k. If you don't mind me asking what is all included in this final cost. Internals, machining, shipping etc. .I'm new to this as well (have my 72 240z shell was a wedding gift since july 2013,slowly but surely) previously wanting to go the sr20det route. I was now given a N42 block. And now thinking I should go from there. And honestly I sooooooo feel you on that Ferrari sound.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that you say that this build is around final cost $12k. If you don't mind me asking what is all included in this final cost. Internals, machining, shipping etc. .I'm new to this as well (have my 72 240z shell was a wedding gift since july 2013,slowly but surely) previously wanting to go the sr20det route. I was now given a N42 block. And now thinking I should go from there. And honestly I sooooooo feel you on that Ferrari sound.

Also what transmission are you planning to run. I've heard nothing but great things about Datsun Spirit and his commitment to excellence. Truly very compelling. Great build.

Hey bud!

Yeah, the final cost of the build will be around $11-12K. I got my engine back from Eiji about a week or two ago, so it's currently sitting in the garage. So far, I have over $8K invested into it, but I still need the carbs, ignition system and a couple of other things...should cost around $11-12K when finished.

Basically, I went for his Stage III package: https://datsunspirit.com/stage-iii/

Some of the extra stuff I got:

- New Rocker Arms

- Adjustable Cam Timing Sprocket

- Zinc Plated Dipstick

- A 9lbs Flywheel

- New Crank Pulley

- New Thermo Housing Kit

- Shipping (There and back again)

Then you have the base stuff:

- Stage III Engine Build

* 89mm Kameari Pistons + H-Beam Rods + New Crank (3.0L Setup) + Head Work (New Cam has .290 Dur/.490 Lift) = Rod/Stroke Ration: 3.53

- Triple Weber 45DCOE's with Kameari Intake (Haven't gotten this yet)

- Currently thinking about getting a MSD Racing ignition system

I'm also going with a 5-Speed from the ZX. If I'm not mistaking, it looks really familiar....looks a lot like a T5....

Eiji Hosomi at DSI is a genius, to say the least. A bit inpatient at times (As a newcomer to this L-Series engines, I could tell I was stretching his patience quite a lot!) but he really knows what he's doing. Mind you, I believe in his talent so much that I actually ended up going over my budget...by 100%. He's that good, haha. Also, the idea of having a L-Series motor built the "Japanese Way" with their incredible know-how and attention to detail really appealed to me. As Eiji told me; "we only do L-engine and I drive L-engine cars every day, and we think about L-engines day in day out and all the time. I doubt they (or others) can say the same."

Edited by TheCrazySwede

so when do the youtube vid's come out?

=)

Haha, as soon as I get the funds ready to finish the build! I'm already way above my budget as it is...and I'm currently working and going to school, so the build has since slowed a bit.

Once she's up and running, you guys will be the first to know, haha.

This is the only pic I've taken, right as she landed back home:

5zWzDO2l.jpg

Datsun Spirit is 10 minutes from my house.  I have already talked to Eiji about doing a STR 1 on my spare L28 but that price!  I am new to the L-series and I guess the sticker shock of these motors has not sunk in.

Do you feel that using Eiji's motors helps increase and hold the value of the 240z?

You don't think given all things equal, other than the engine, that a tastefully modded car that still appears stock to everyone but the purists wouldn't gain the edge and most likely a higher sales point? I can see engine swaps and even possibly the turbo swap hindering an otherwise stock cars sale or at least not giving it an advantage but Eijis work seems like it would be an exception and something I would gladly advertise!

Edited by michael wales

Condition and originality are everything in the collector car market.  The 240Z is not to the point where its worth more then what it costs to restore it (a few cars are, but the vast majority are not) so slightly modified cars are worth about the same as original cars given the same condition.  That will change.

You don't think given all things equal, other than the engine, that a tastefully modded car that still appears stock to everyone but the purists wouldn't gain the edge and most likely a higher sales point? I can see engine swaps and even possibly the turbo swap hindering an otherwise stock cars sale or at least not giving it an advantage but Eijis work seems like it would be an exception and something I would gladly advertise!

If I ever get a L24 that I want to keep as original as possible, but I'd want it rebuilt and have some minor adjustments made to get the motor to run healthier than ever, while still keeping matching numbers, I'd definitely send my motor to Eiji. 

If you asked him to get a performance build while keeping all the parts OEM, this is still possible. I doubt forged pistons, rods, better valves, etc. will really harm the selling price of a Z, given that everything is kept with matching numbers (Head/Block.) I don't think the Z's are near the point where keeping EVERYTHING original will get you a selling price anywhere close to one that kept it's L-Series roots, but got a performance overhaul (sort of what I ended up doing.)

• 6 months later...