HybridZ

240z Project with Mystery Turbo Motor

This car has been sitting for a while. I know it drove around 3 or 4 years ago at which time the ECU went out. It was in the process of having a MS unit installed when my dad abandoned it altogether and it has been sitting on the lift in my dads garage since then.

I call it a mystery motor because it appears to have had LOTS done to it, but I have no idea what it was. The person who did all the work origonally is dead.

-It needs to have MS finished

-Needs new radiator

-Needs tires

-Needs a good Ole cleaning.

-And im sure it needs a million other things that will end up being giant cans of worms.

I plan on doing all the install work/fabrication needed to get this back in shape.

I have had lots of mechanical experience with BMW's in the past, but no prior experience with S30's. I did a motor swap on a TT Z32, so I have had experience in the Nissan community a little bit, but not crazy involved. Are there any reputable guys on these forums or online that you guys typically use for heads? Or other motor part sourcing? how about parts? whos the recommended go-to company for stock parts? and performance parts?

All info is appreciated!

Heres some pics for those that want to see.

med_gallery_44126_1402_1641358.jpg

med_gallery_44126_1402_453440.jpg

Edited by dirtbiker194

I think we'll need bigger pictures of the engine bay. It appears to be an L series motor, but without block pictures I don't think we can guess which version. I'm going to guess L28ET with the intake and emissions systems trimmed down.

Block code will be on the opposite side from the head stamping(under the manifolds behind the PVC boss). If it says f54 you have an l28et

F54/P90 also came in an N/A version.

But I do agree that since one of the pictures looks like it has a turbo, it would likely be an L28ET. The thing is, if you said that about my car, you'd be wrong, It is an F54/P90 with a turbo, but it was originally an N/A engine that I added a turbo to. ;)

You can pull the spark plugs and look into the cylinders pretty easily and determine whether the pistons are dished or flat top. Dished = L28ET, Flat Top = L28E

So, I did more poking around, Its an F54 Block.

Here's some pics I snapped of the car (and whats below it keeping me from lowering the lift to work on it. I also took some shots of the other S30's that are in the garage. Hopefully someday I will have a chance to get to all of them. haha

Today I am working on cleaning the garage up a bit to make room to work on this guy. (and make room to pull out the bug so I can work on the Z)

Hopefully by Wednesday I'll get a shot of the car all cleaned up and waxed.

IMG 1940[1]

IMG 1941[1]

IMG 1942[1]

IMG 1944[1]

IMG 1947[1]

At least 3 240's and an old Bug just sitting in the garage?? We're gonna need more pics man!

haha, I am gonna try and get the Turbo car (Bergundy) pulled out of the garage this weekend and given a nice car wash. Hopefully by then I can have the garage a little cleaner to get some more pics. haha.

Some info about the garage:

The garage has 4, 4 Post lifts. (drive under). Because of the configuration, we are able to have (and currently do have) 8 cars parked in the garage at one time.

It has 14 foot ceilings, sand blast cabinet, Heated parts washer, and some other odds and ends. I never finished getting the 80 gallon compressor hooked up, so for now, I just use a little pancake compressor when needed. It is a complete mess and I am desperately trying to organize and clean up. It is UN-USABLE currently but I hope that soon will change.