HybridZ

L28ET + 5 Spd Value

boomer3

Hey guys, I just want to toss this question out; how much do you think a stock L28ET + type B 5spd is worth, (including all accessories, wiring, ecu, etc).

Naturally you could say it is worth whatever I am willing to pay for it, but I want to get a general range of $$ value from  you guys. The conditions are - used engine, sitting around for a couple years, ok compression, bottom end used but not too tired or burning tons of oil. Has been covered under a hood but outside for the period of time it has been sitting, no exhaust past downpipe, maybe corrosion up toward turbo? 5 spd is said to have shifted and operated well last time it was used. I have seen values ranging from $350 to $1500 online, he is looking for $750 which doesn't seem totally unreasonable to me, what do you guys think?

Knowledge of condition is definitely worth something more than junk yard value. Depends then on how much trust you have in sellers information. The price is fair for the stated condition in this market.

The wrecking yards in my area give a one month warranty, plus you can buy a year-long warranty if you want, for not a lot.  Just saying, they really are the competition, for the discerning shopper.

Hook everything up and get it running and you can ask a premium.

I agree with you on the wrecking yard being the competition, but when the local wrecking yards no longer have l28et drivetrain you are forced to go with a private sale at an inflated price. Unfortunately this one has been sitting so long that I wouldn't want to start it up without cleaning the injectors/fuel system, so i will likely have to purchase on good faith that everything was running decently well last time he drove it. Anyways, not a huge expense to have all of the components in one package, I can always use my N42 block if necessary, and will clean/do partial rebuild if necessary. Still much cheaper than any other swap fortunately.

I didn't really read all of your first question, sorry.  I thought you were selling or asking in general.   Since you'll probably tear it down anyway, I would take some tools out there and take it apart as far as the guy will let you, to see how things look inside.  All it takes is one rainy day uncovered out of those 750 to get some water in a cylinder that sits in there and rusts.  At least take the oil pan plug out and see if water or oil comes out.  Water will condense frm just the air and sink to the bottom.  Good luck.