HybridZ

A musician's therapist (The $300 Z)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the correct ignition all wired up. For those curious, the extra wires are just for the door open buzzer, I was able to swap them out... mostly, if only to have them wired to make my mild ocd subside.

Was able to drive around quite a bit and even take the car up to about 50 on some nearby backroads! Super fun even with the old suspension and questionable body panel fastening haha. I very quickly found out.... my alternator isn't working! Good news is, my voltmeter is definitely accurate. I'm currently debating between a 70amp ZX Turbo alternator, to get rid of the external regulator. 

Atlantic Z has a great write-up on the very easy process: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/alternatorswap/index.html

OR going with a GM CS alternator. Haven't really decided, or even looked into whether or not one is overkill. Down the road I'll want higher output lights and a nicer audio system without such a steep drop in voltage. I have plenty of time to mull over it fortunately  http://czot.org/forum/showthread.php?2040-Datsun-Z-Alternator-Upgrade-to-GM-CS130-Alternator

• 2 weeks later...

No big updates on the car currently since I'm away from it. But, for a while now, I've been looking for a small truck to carry extra things in, whether it's needing to take a couch home (I have wooden outdoor couches in my living room because I haven't had time/a truck to bring home comfortable indoor couches... granted they fit in with the fireplace and all hardwood floor) or just to be able to get rid of green waste around the house.

I was looking at a lot of 22RE engine Toyota 4x4 trucks, but they're always pricey even at over 200k miles, so I started looking at older 620 trucks. After all, I don't need much, just something I can carry stuff in, plus a 620 was the first car I learned to drive in.

Last night I made a $2k offer on 307 chevy swapped 620, and it's likely I'll be picking it up this weekend. Can any of you more knowledgeable people maybe point out areas of concern based on the pictures? I drove it a bit last night and it drives well and brakes hard. It doesn't look pretty, definitely a rat rod, but it would work well for what I need. Opinions?

post-26977-0-13503500-1484696081_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-62304800-1484696088_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-13427000-1484696101_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-66588700-1484696110_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-73711200-1484696124_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-69152700-1484696133_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-46885200-1484696204_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-14246700-1484696213_thumb.jpg

Edited by Zetsaz

My experience with these conversion projects is that they take a lot to do, maintain and just plain work right. Don't get me wrong I'm all for a cool project and like I said, I have done A LOT of them over the years. I have way too many going now (I have been giving myself this same talk lately). However, for what you are stating you want to use this for, I'd steer clear. You'd be better off buying an old Chevy/GMC/Ford/Dodge than the conversion or better yet just keep watching for the right 22RE you originally wanted. You've already got a project in the Z and unless you really want another...

Looking at the photos, I see quite a few signs of questionable construction but it's hard to tell for sure in the photos. Chains used as support? I've seen it done (particularly on choppers) and look quite cool if you are into that sort of thing but not as a driver. IMO the only reason to EVER use a 307 in a conversion is because you had it, that also really dates the engine unless recently refreshed. And again, why go to the effort on a 307 when a 350 is so common and just plain better all around? I'm not a fan of that air filter assembly, had one years and years ago and replaced it. The parts in that project are all really, really dated. No grille is just asking for a rock to take out that radiator which came from who knows what. Does he have a list of what and how this was cobbled or put together (could go either way)? What do you buy for a replacement part when that time comes? Hate to throw a wet blanket, maybe I'm totally wrong, maybe the deal is done.

Again, just my opinion. Good Luck!

BTW, it was nice talking to you over the holidays.

More voice of reason, thanks Dave! My brother was mentioning some of the same things. Started leaning away from it last night mostly after thinking through what finding parts would be like. I'm thinking I'll probably wait a few months and pony up a bit extra for an older but well maintained Toyota. The right xtra cab 4x4 and I could be feeling like Marty McFly haha. 

Dave is spot-on on everything he mentioned. I've been thinking about you today after reading about this last night, if you really want a Nissan just find an old hardbody, they were just about as reliable as the old 22re Toyota's

Yeah, I've been looking into the D21 a bit too. Fortunately they're cheaper, and from what I've read that, VG30 would be a better option to the 3.0 equivalent from toyota

• 2 weeks later...

I had almost decided to just go without a truck for a while, and figure out a different way to move all the junk i need to scrap or clean up in the yard. Toyotas were too expensive and Nissans were generally beaten up.

Then I found this excellent hardbody that had been owned by an older man since '93 when it was almost new. Has a near complete service history, aside from some oil changes he did himself (which are dated on tape in the engine bay), receipts for a re-manufactured engine about 30k miles ago, and a rebuilt transmission about 60k miles ago. It's not the V6, but it was hard to pass up such a well cared for truck. Picked it up and brought it home for the same price I was paying on the 620 :)

Keeping it in the Nissan family for now I guess. Black was purely coincidence haha. 

post-26977-0-75650800-1485821740_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-06812600-1485821751_thumb.jpg

post-26977-0-86334500-1485821761_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ah, good to know!

If I may suggest, I'd do a once over where the hinge bolts to the door, and where the stainless frame goes into the door for stress/rust cracks, and poke along the bottom in the front and back. Out of 4 doors, 3 of them were separating at that joint, two of them had cracks around the hinge and two of them had holes in the bottom.