HybridZ

'73 G-Nose 5.3/T-56 Work In Progress

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

A few updates, still waiting for title to come in from the state and I am hoping to have it this week so I can finally register the car.

I wanted to use an old-school foot operated dimmer switch and needed somewhere to mount that, so I went to a local Nascar parts recycling warehouse (SRIperformance.com - check them out if you're ever in the area) hoping to find something with dimple-die holes in it that I could retrofit as a dead pedal.  I did find a bracket that worked great, though the holes weren't dimple died.  I think it turned out great, and it is very comfortable for my left foot.

Dead pedal!

FB_IMG_1490498319762_zpsnhuywuri.jpg

I got all the wiring finished!  All lights, horn, turn signals, etc... are now functioning including a 3rd brake light and way too bright license plate light (both LED strip).  I found that the stock headlights were super dim, so I replaced the sealed beams with Hella H4 housings.  High beams look great now, low beams still very dim.  I don't think they're getting full voltage, either a wiring issue or something with the headlight switch or dimmer switch.   I may need to re-wire the headlights with relays so they have a good clean 12v source... will look into that further soon.  I can live with it for now.

Lit up:

20170314_194742_zpsguu1efi9.jpg

20170314_194800_zps3m7qnbmx.jpg

20170314_194715_zpst0z5ji7k.jpg

20170314_194641_zps1tum4abu.jpg

3rd brake light!  LED strip light, 1/2" aluminum 90* stock, and some brake light lens repair tape for a makeshift "housing"

20170211_162507_zpsvqbwi3my.jpg

New H4 headlights:

20170317_184934_zpsoqoizxoz.jpg

20170317_184929_zpsireca51e.jpg

20170317_190519_zpss9dp55f3.jpg

Heat shields/mats on catalytic converters, driver side touches floor, needs some finessing of the exhaust to be perfect.  Floor is noticeably cooler.

20170315_200147_zpsesy4kjlz.jpg

I bought 10" wide rear wheels to replace the existing 8s, to get the most out of the 235 tire and fill out the fender flares a bit more.  They came in last week, so I got the rear tires switched over.

15x10 -25 et

20170318_121306_zps4vsrr8kw.jpg

20170318_144303_zpstdenssoi.jpg

Front 225 on 8" vs Rear 235 on 10" width:

20170318_160809_zps3biwvrfj.jpg

On car:

20170318_165902_zps3un1ny3c.jpg

20170318_165914_zpsa0tubc65.jpg

20170318_165923_zpsowpxlieu.jpg

I decided that there isn't much room for adjustment or creativity when mounting the Brinkworth rear flares.  They pretty much have to go in one spot, so I went ahead and mounted them.  They still need some work to be perfect, but I am not going to waste a ton of time on them until I do the bodywork and repaint the entire car.  A quick scuff and flat black for now.   I've also painted the rocker to match up to the rear flare, and continued the red pinstripe from the front bumper.

20170325_131221_zps80lqp6kp.jpg

It really, REALLY needs coilovers now...

20170322_191258_zpsjcnnbzzi.jpg

20170322_191309_zpswk3ugaxn.jpg

20170322_191320_zps0ch6bouj.jpg

20170322_191614_zpsmxwmxuti.jpg

And, when I was cutting up the rear quarter panels, I found a sickening, scary amount of bondo :(  Never had a magnet on the car before, seems the rear quarters are by far the worst spots, I can feel magnetism about everywhere else on the car.  The driver side had at least 3/8-1/2" of bondo over the wheel arch, the passenger side not as bad but still easily a 1/4"...   Some of you will probably cringe at my metal work here, I wasn't able to weld the inner fender sheetmetal to the rear quarter, so I riveted it together and covered with seam sealer.  After finding all that bondo and repair work, I really didn't have the drive to do it really nice.

First cut, this isn't a good sign... cutoff wheel goes pretty far before striking metal!

20170318_215336_zpsqv1b47ub.jpg

Chunk of bondo I chipped off:

20170318_223906_zpsmwj6vhia.jpg

Drivers side, yeah that's quite a lot of bondo...

20170318_230730_zps04uso0pu.jpg

Cut, hammer, fold, and rivet together.  Cover with seam sealer.  Works for me.

20170319_163200_zpsjlof885f.jpg

20170319_173544_zpsrrdto8zu.jpg

20170319_185110_zps0vjmhdmj.jpg

Custom Datsun/Bowtie horn button.  I forgot to take a picture in the car.  Purchased from revlimiter.net

20170221_120215_zpsx4dxv0x1.jpg

Coming up: Brake overhaul and CV axle swap.  I have on order new rotors for all four corners and Hawk HPS pads, should have that stuff this week.  For CV axles, I'm doing Z31T axles with flipped cages and modified stock companion flanges.  I bought a pair of 280z 27t spline stubs, and sent the companions to a guy on facebook to weld the adapters on.  Several v8 guys drag racing with these, they should be plenty strong for me... at least as strong as the stock stub axle! I still need to buy new wheel bearings and stub axle nuts, then I'll get to doing this swap.

17204103_1331503996888050_2040213454_n_z

Z31T axles bought locally, in pretty good shape.  I am hoping that flipping the cages will be enough, if not I'll get shorter axle shafts.

20170220_182539_zpsdpdwhdpe.jpg

I want to lay the rest of my LMC sound control mat in the floor, get some on the firewall and in the doors, then I need to get some carpet in the front and on the trans tunnel.  I also need to install the panels in the rear of the car to cover the inner fenders and taillight area, and a few minor details like that.  But mostly, she's ready to drive!  I need to work on the tune a bit more, and I may get a Tilton 7/8 clutch master cylinder.  I'm not liking the 3/4 CNC master I currently have.  The engagement travel is fairly short, and the pedal is stiff toward the bottom of its travel, which I think is the rod going into the master less than straight. 

Oh! And Friday I am getting the windshield replaced. A friend of mine is a windshield installer, said he could get one and quoted me $220 installed so I am pulling the trigger on that!

Edited by Domesticated

Re: Headlight Issue

There is a headlight relay harness developed by a HybridZ member named Dave that you can purchase from him or at MSA.

It is plug and play so no wire cutting/splicing.  Allows full voltage to your headlights and the use of higher wattage bulbs.  It also takes the load off of the  light switch.

Dave's website: http://datsun-240z-upgrades.net/product-info/

MSA: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/12-4651

Edited by Miles

Re: Headlight Issue

There is a headlight relay harness developed by a HybridZ member named Dave that you can purchase from him or at MSA.

It is plug and play so no wire cutting/splicing.  Allows full voltage to your headlights and the use of higher wattage bulbs.  It also takes the load off of the  light switch.

Dave's website: http://datsun-240z-upgrades.net/product-info/

MSA: http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/12-4651

That is pretty cool, but I don't actually have any factory wiring and I am not utilizing the column mounted combo switch.  All the wiring was ripped out and replaced with a universal hotrod harness/fuse panel, and I am using a GM-style headlight switch.  I will probably make something like that for my car using a relay when I have time and want to mess with wiring again.

Edited by Domesticated

Even with the GM style switch use relays.  Cheap ones from the parts store work fine.  We found the breaker in the GM switch would trip after long loads.  Nothing like driving at night and the headlights go out.  They come back on when the breaker resets.  JMHO. Richard. 

Even with the GM style switch use relays.  Cheap ones from the parts store work fine.  We found the breaker in the GM switch would trip after long loads.  Nothing like driving at night and the headlights go out.  They come back on when the breaker resets.  JMHO. Richard. 

That sounds like tons of fun.... not!

Not really, Just run 2 relays to the harness where it splits the headlights from one wire to two.  It could be done at the dimmer switch if desired.  Run a battery wire to the relays and then just cut the wire to act as a trigger, 4 spade connectors and a ground wire and done.  JMHO, it is worth unless going to LEDs real soon.  Richard. 

Not really, Just run 2 relays to the harness where it splits the headlights from one wire to two.  It could be done at the dimmer switch if desired.  Run a battery wire to the relays and then just cut the wire to act as a trigger, 4 spade connectors and a ground wire and done.  JMHO, it is worth unless going to LEDs real soon.  Richard. 

No, I was referring to the unreliable factory style turning off in the middle of the night!

Title work sorted out, and got the registration and license plate today!  Just in time for the weekend.  The car is currently up on jack stands getting new brakes.  The rear is done, just waiting for new StopTech front rotors which will be here tomorrow.   I am so looking forward to this weekend, I can't wait to put some miles on the car and work on the street tune. I plan to record a driving video and under-load exhaust clips.

20170406_185755_zpsafyxk1qq.jpg

New s13 rear rotors from local auto parts store, and Hawk HPS pads for the rear

20170401_212034_zpsachk5lgd.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got the windshield replaced this week.  It cost $220 installed, not including the new seal which I provided.  The new glass looks fantastic, I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out... wasn't sure what to expect with aftermarket glass.  They laid down a coat of rust preventative before installing, and I was pretty happy with the lack of rust underneath the old seal.

20170414_144755_zpsthj8v6h6.jpg

20170414_144803_zpsnkuu5zqc.jpg

20170414_172048_zpso4cnteqp.jpg

To christen the fresh glass, I slapped on a windshield banner for the company I work for.  Its a reflective black vinyl that looks like a matte black in the shade, but has light reflective properties and is more visible in the sunlight.  I haven't seen what it looks like at night but its supposed to be somewhat translucent. 

20170415_144328_zpsubh5wlsj.jpg

20170415_145352_zpstogasqkx.jpg

20170415_145414_zpsoz7adjgi.jpg

20170415_145405_zpsq9woz6wt.jpg

Not much else has happened.  Trying to figure out a vibration in the steering wheel around 45mph.  I think the front tires are out of balance.  I've roughed in the alignment and want to get it on a laser rack to set the toe, but the car tracks and drives great.  I've put about 500 miles on it in the last week, driving it to work every day and a few cruise-ins last Saturday and Friday night.  I've been working on the tune as I drive it, and its getting pretty close.  Hoping we can make time for it on the dyno this week and see what its making to the tires.

Hotrod cruise-in last night, my buddy owns the Gremlin... the two of us were a bit of an odd couple there

20170414_184323_zpszzlc9lma.jpg

20170414_184300_zps90nvpbly.jpg

Oh, almost forgot one of the most important additions... cupholders!  This is pretty ghetto, but I needed somewhere to set down a beverage.

20170412_195222_zpsu2okhnna.jpg

Edited by Domesticated

I may be calling you up for a windshield install referral in a bit!  Looks great

Diligent Glass out of Denver, NC.  (704) 677-4366  You'll probably speak to Doug. I know him through my work, so he may have hooked me up a bit - your quote may vary! Tell him Mark at PCM referred you. 

• 3 weeks later...

We had my car on the dyno today.  Confirmed that I need more cam... maybe I need to build a motor... Ha.  I'm happy with it for now.

Final Numbers:  314hp @ 6000rpm / 316tq @ 4500rpm

dyno1_zpsm4nwbtjk.jpg

2_zpsvrc6mehb.jpg

Edited by Domesticated

Those are good numbers to the wheels.... factor in drive train loss and that's decent power to weight ratio. No dyno for me yet, but with my LS1 t56 running vet hot cam and 3.9 lsd I can blow the tires off any time I wish. Any more would just be for trash taking or bragging until I get more tire under her. 200 treadwear 255 40 17 at present.

I continue to enjoy your build. Jim

Edited by trackzpeed

Those are good numbers to the wheels.... factor in drive train loss and that's decent power to weight ratio. No dyno for me yet, but with my LS1 t56 running vet hot cam and 3.9 lsd I can blow the tires off any time I wish. Any more would just be for trash taking or bragging until I get more tire under her. 200 treadwear 255 40 17 at present.

I continue to enjoy your build. Jim

Thanks!  Yeah I can't be too disappointed with the numbers, for a mostly stock 5.3 and tiny cam.  The car is plenty fun to drive, and the low end torque is the best part.  I don't have much in the way of traction issues; if I lay into the throttle in first it will spin but it hooks really well in second.  I'm leery of the stock u-joint axles, so I haven't bothered launching the car and mostly just roll into it, but the 235 wide R888s are working out pretty decent.  With another 100hp that might be a different story.

I'm going to try and drive it to the dump this week and get on a scale; I'm very curious what the car currently weighs.

My 240 came in at 2500 lbs with full interior, ls1 and T56. Corner weighted with me in it 2700 with almost 50/50 balance front to rear and left to right and crossed. Axels should be good as long as you don't dump clutch launch. Your car is coming along nicely.