HybridZ
Domesticated

'73 G-Nose 5.3/T-56 Work In Progress

Title work sorted out, and got the registration and license plate today!  Just in time for the weekend.  The car is currently up on jack stands getting new brakes.  The rear is done, just waiting for new StopTech front rotors which will be here tomorrow.   I am so looking forward to this weekend, I can't wait to put some miles on the car and work on the street tune. I plan to record a driving video and under-load exhaust clips.

20170406_185755_zpsafyxk1qq.jpg

New s13 rear rotors from local auto parts store, and Hawk HPS pads for the rear

20170401_212034_zpsachk5lgd.jpg

Posted (edited)

I got the windshield replaced this week.  It cost $220 installed, not including the new seal which I provided.  The new glass looks fantastic, I couldn't be more happy with how it turned out... wasn't sure what to expect with aftermarket glass.  They laid down a coat of rust preventative before installing, and I was pretty happy with the lack of rust underneath the old seal.

20170414_144755_zpsthj8v6h6.jpg

20170414_144803_zpsnkuu5zqc.jpg

20170414_172048_zpso4cnteqp.jpg

To christen the fresh glass, I slapped on a windshield banner for the company I work for.  Its a reflective black vinyl that looks like a matte black in the shade, but has light reflective properties and is more visible in the sunlight.  I haven't seen what it looks like at night but its supposed to be somewhat translucent. 

20170415_144328_zpsubh5wlsj.jpg

20170415_145352_zpstogasqkx.jpg

20170415_145414_zpsoz7adjgi.jpg

20170415_145405_zpsq9woz6wt.jpg

Not much else has happened.  Trying to figure out a vibration in the steering wheel around 45mph.  I think the front tires are out of balance.  I've roughed in the alignment and want to get it on a laser rack to set the toe, but the car tracks and drives great.  I've put about 500 miles on it in the last week, driving it to work every day and a few cruise-ins last Saturday and Friday night.  I've been working on the tune as I drive it, and its getting pretty close.  Hoping we can make time for it on the dyno this week and see what its making to the tires.

Hotrod cruise-in last night, my buddy owns the Gremlin... the two of us were a bit of an odd couple there

20170414_184323_zpszzlc9lma.jpg

20170414_184300_zps90nvpbly.jpg

Oh, almost forgot one of the most important additions... cupholders!  This is pretty ghetto, but I needed somewhere to set down a beverage.

20170412_195222_zpsu2okhnna.jpg

Edited by Domesticated

I may be calling you up for a windshield install referral in a bit!  Looks great

Diligent Glass out of Denver, NC.  (704) 677-4366  You'll probably speak to Doug. I know him through my work, so he may have hooked me up a bit - your quote may vary! Tell him Mark at PCM referred you. 

trackzpeed    5
Posted (edited)

Those are good numbers to the wheels.... factor in drive train loss and that's decent power to weight ratio. No dyno for me yet, but with my LS1 t56 running vet hot cam and 3.9 lsd I can blow the tires off any time I wish. Any more would just be for trash taking or bragging until I get more tire under her. 200 treadwear 255 40 17 at present.

I continue to enjoy your build. Jim

Edited by trackzpeed

Those are good numbers to the wheels.... factor in drive train loss and that's decent power to weight ratio. No dyno for me yet, but with my LS1 t56 running vet hot cam and 3.9 lsd I can blow the tires off any time I wish. Any more would just be for trash taking or bragging until I get more tire under her. 200 treadwear 255 40 17 at present.

I continue to enjoy your build. Jim

Thanks!  Yeah I can't be too disappointed with the numbers, for a mostly stock 5.3 and tiny cam.  The car is plenty fun to drive, and the low end torque is the best part.  I don't have much in the way of traction issues; if I lay into the throttle in first it will spin but it hooks really well in second.  I'm leery of the stock u-joint axles, so I haven't bothered launching the car and mostly just roll into it, but the 235 wide R888s are working out pretty decent.  With another 100hp that might be a different story.

I'm going to try and drive it to the dump this week and get on a scale; I'm very curious what the car currently weighs.

trackzpeed    5

My 240 came in at 2500 lbs with full interior, ls1 and T56. Corner weighted with me in it 2700 with almost 50/50 balance front to rear and left to right and crossed. Axels should be good as long as you don't dump clutch launch. Your car is coming along nicely.

Small update: I haven't done much to the car but drive it lately.  She is up to about 1500 miles.  Getting closer to ordering some new suspension parts. 

2-3 weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon out for a drive I performed an... overly ambitious... 1-2 shift and broke a U-joint on the passenger side axle.  I swapped out the stub for the later 27-spline piece with new lug studs, bearings and seal and swapped in the Z31T CV axle with flipped cage.  Seems to be working perfectly.  Now I just need to do the driver side axle before I break another U-joint.  The snap was a lot less violent than I would have ever expected it to be, luckily I wasn't going too fast and pulled over quickly, so the axle flopping around in the control arm didn't do any damage.  Also, noticeably less "clunk" in the driveline now, even with just one axle swapped. 

20170611_123615_zpseh1irdte.jpg

20170611_142220_zpspqbdoyay.jpg

20170702_134512_zpspj69iofu.jpg

I also got a pair of Skillard door panels: 

20170531_205352_zpsacrpjhso.jpg