HybridZ

LED tail lights

Attempting to build LED tail lights by using cheap eBay LEDs .

Got my tail lights disassembled .

post-11413-0-42681300-1399821373_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-45418900-1399821473_thumb.jpg

post-11413-0-66133300-1399821441_thumb.jpg

Here are the LEDs I was going to use .

post-11413-0-73193000-1399821553_thumb.jpg

Plan was to have 3 halos on top and 4 halos on bottom with round COB LEDs in each halo . Halos were to be the running lights and top 3 COBs = sequential turn signal and bottom 4 COBs = brake . But the COB LEDs are very bright , it's like looking at an arc welder , and burning way too HOT . It'll burn itself out w/o some kind of heat sinks and fans . So the COBs are out . Awaiting on new LEDs for new design . Really like to keep the sequential turn signal , will see .

Picture of sequential module ( behind the lenses )

post-11413-0-48205500-1399821397_thumb.jpg

Edited by Domzs

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally , I like the red lenses . It's not hard to separate the lenses . I will be using something similar to my Z31 and Z32 tail light gasket material , kind of sticky strips that won't hardened up and screws for easier disassemble in the future .

To separate the lenses , I put the tail light assembly in the oven for 5 minutes at 250 deg. and kept reheat them ( 2 minutes at a time ) until the lenses come off . Make sure to remove everything that attaches to the tail light assembly  like bulbs , screws , wiring harness , etc.

i photoshopped this pic a few weeks ago with the idea of doing it myself. Havent seen anyone do a LED setup to zenki/kouki s30 tail lights that i liked yet. I think round ones in there would look like poo imo. Try to fit the overall shape of the tail light design for a better look imo.

Only issue is the textured lens might take away from it imo.

10003702_10152122858458557_1372588761_o.

i photoshopped this pic a few weeks ago with the idea of doing it myself. Havent seen anyone do a LED setup to zenki/kouki s30 tail lights that i liked yet. I think round ones in there would look like poo imo. Try to fit the overall shape of the tail light design for a better look imo.

Only issue is the textured lens might take away from it imo.

10003702_10152122858458557_1372588761_o.

I believed Autoloc sell something like the above pic . I'm trying to keep the cost down by using eBay LEDs , glue and go  . If you placed the LEDs against the lens , they will be ok .

I'm going to try to do something like a Dodge Challenger tail lights , perimeter LEDs . We'll see when my side emitting LED strips come in . Hopefully this week , takes a while when buying stuff from China .

COB LEDs replacement came in today , still waiting on side emitting LED strips .

This was the original plan , with COBs .

post-11413-0-41547100-1400112796_thumb.jpg

Here's COB replacement .

post-11413-0-41720600-1400112873_thumb.jpg

Here's the plan with sequential signal ( top lens ) .

post-11413-0-14825000-1400113012_thumb.jpg

Your thoughts . I kinda agree with Hypertek . Second plan is to use side emitting LED strips ( running ) on the perimeter of the lenses , similar to Charger and Challenger , and small round LEDs in the center ( signal and brake ) . 

I was going to do something like that for mine but i will not spend 500$ unless i had no tailo lights to begin with.

$500 is the starting price and it goes up to $700  . Don't think they come with tail light assemblies , just the inserts .

See I don't really like the outside outlined lights.  I'd much prefer to use Pulse width modulated lights to get a dimmer effect, Separating the driving lights from the brake and blinkers.  The sequential is kind of cool. But I dunno it's kind of gimmicky too.  That photochopped image he put up looks much better to me.  I'm sticking with the Red for the brake lights, but I have a set of Klearz for the Blinkers. so I'll use yellow LEDS for that area. 

Now with those large LED pucks you're looking at using, You need to look at using a driver chip for them or they're over current and die much quicker than they should. With a driver they should last forever. Not sure how much you know about electronics.

See I don't really like the outside outlined lights.  I'd much prefer to use Pulse width modulated lights to get a dimmer effect, Separating the driving lights from the brake and blinkers.  The sequential is kind of cool. But I dunno it's kind of gimmicky too.  That photochopped image he put up looks much better to me.  I'm sticking with the Red for the brake lights, but I have a set of Klearz for the Blinkers. so I'll use yellow LEDS for that area. 

Now with those large LED pucks you're looking at using, You need to look at using a driver chip for them or they're over current and die much quicker than they should. With a driver they should last forever. Not sure how much you know about electronics.

Thanks for the info on the driver chip . I thought each light module ( ring ) has everything in it , just supply 12V and go . I do like the idea of dimmer effect too . Thanks .