HybridZ

fuel pump

morning all,

I have an early 260z and it has what I believe to be ,2 fuel pumps - am electric one next to fuel tank and mechanical one on the forward rt. side of engine.

My question is can I eliminate the mechanical one and if so, what if anything would I have to do differently.

Thanks in advance

Daniel in Stockton Ca.

You need to check if that's normal or not. I believe on 260z you might have a electric fuel pump used only to prime carbs before starting the car.

You need to check how and when the pump works. A voltmeter and/or FSM would help you there.

If the electrical pump is an aftermarket unit (Mallory, Carter, Holley, Facet, etc.) you might be able to use it, you need to check that.

You might also need to change the wiring if the electrical pump you've got is stock. It has to work also after engine has been started. You need 12V when ignition switch is on "ON" position.

You also need to think about safety: how are you going to manage fuel pump in case of car accident? You do not want the pump to flow gas if you've been into major accident. You either need a switch that works with oil pressure (as it is done on S130) or an inertia switch. I got one from a donor car in a junkyard for $20.

People recommend using cheap and quiet RX7 fuel pump easily available if your engine is stock FYI.

I appreciate the information. I'm going to check the voltage at the electric fuel pump when the car is running to see if is just for priming like you mention.

I'm planning on rerouting my fuel lines and hoping I can eliminate the mechanical one. That way I wouldn't have to run the supply all the way up to the front of the car and back to the fire wall.

Thanks again Daniel

I'm assuming the mechanical fuel pump is on the passenger side of the motor just forward of number 1 cylinder? That is the stock location for that fuel pump and, on the earlier 240Z's that is the only fuel pump they use. The biggest requirement is that whatever pump you use the delivery pressure has to be correct for carburetors.

The '73 240Z and the 260Z came with both the mechanical pump and a rear mount electric pump. The purpose of the electric pump was just to push rule through the filter and charge the mechanical pump. No certain of the rational behind it since carbonated cars ran mechanically driven fuel pumps for 50 years with no issues. Must have been some kind of emissions thing. Anyway, if you install a self regulating pump with the right pressure you should be just fine. Otherwise just fix what you got and go from there - although the original Nissan fuel pumps are not real available and pretty expensive.

I've recently rerouted my fuel lines and was hoping I can eliminate the mechanical pump all together. I ran the lines across the fire wall. Right now I have to run the supply side all the way up to the front of the engine and back to the fire wall.

Thought I would get some input on how I might be able to go about that. Only reason is to clean up the engine bay area.post-44346-0-04509500-1400417523_thumb.jpgpost-44346-0-72121000-1400417588_thumb.jpgpost-44346-0-31255000-1400417668_thumb.jpg