HybridZ

Stroker from Craigslist

Hi all! I don't post on here much but got a question, I am starting my 280z project and I was looking on craigslist when I found a Datsun L6 for sale fully built, stroked, head work done, performance cam, and Weber carbs for $800. He claims it was dyno'ed at 325hp at the flywheel.

Anyway, I called the guy, he owns a auto shop and he traded the engine for a VW Bug from an engine builder friend of his. He was going to use it on a aborted Datsun project but he doesn't have the time anymore.

He doesn't have the dyno sheet so there is no way of me knowing how much power it makes. I guess I can ask for his friends number and ask him about it. I am going to check it out tomorrow. Do you think this is a good deal or not? Should I be suspicious?

Thanks!

post-43190-0-76753200-1400015359_thumb.jpg

post-43190-0-40713300-1400015360_thumb.jpg

post-43190-0-95313400-1400015360_thumb.jpg

Is it currently installed in a car so that you can hear it run? I would be cautiously optimistic, but it might be a really good deal.

Yes it runs, he can start it up when I go see it. He just has it strapped into a non operable chasis right now. I am cautiously optimistic too.

Is therr anything I should look for?

325hp at the wheels with what looks like a stock exhaust manifold and weber DGV's? Yes, I would be suspicious...

Check block and head identification.  $800 is a lot for something unknown. I would say $400 is fair for a good running motor if it something you want to build up.

Yeah, can the DGV's even flow enough air to make that much power...lol? Can you talk to the actual engine builder or is the seller the engine builder? Sorry, a little confused on that point. If you can talk to the actual builder then ask him some basic questions about the engine that the builder would know; like what are the cam specs, what is the compression ratio (because I doubt its still 8.8:1), what does "head work" mean specifically (combustion chamber, ports, both?)? Did he take the cylinders to 83mm or stick with the stock bore? Where did he get the stroker kit or did he know which crank/rod/piston combo to use and he bought them all individually? These are things that you would probably want to know anyway and it would be a good way to feel comfortable about what you are potentially buying. Also, just because the guy is full of shit on the HP figure doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good engine but I would certainly be vigilant.

325hp at the wheels with what looks like a stock exhaust manifold and weber DGV's? Yes, I would be suspicious...

Check block and head identification.  $800 is a lot for something unknown. I would say $400 is fair for a good running motor if it something you want to build up.

He didn't say, at the wheel hp but I understand your suspicions.

Yeah, can the DGV's even flow enough air to make that much power...lol? Can you talk to the actual engine builder or is the seller the engine builder? Sorry, a little confused on that point. If you can talk to the actual builder then ask him some basic questions about the engine that the builder would know; like what are the cam specs, what is the compression ratio (because I doubt its still 8.8:1), what does "head work" mean specifically (combustion chamber, ports, both?)? Did he take the cylinders to 83mm or stick with the stock bore? Where did he get the stroker kit or did he know which crank/rod/piston combo to use and he bought them all individually? These are things that you would probably want to know anyway and it would be a good way to feel comfortable about what you are potentially buying. Also, just because the guy is full of shit on the HP figure doesn't necessarily mean it's not a good engine but I would certainly be vigilant.

You're right, when I was talking to him on the phone he didn't really give me specifics on the the engine. We'll see when I get to his shop tomorrow if he (or his friend) have any receipts, details, and/or specs on the engine.

I, too call BS especially if it's the engine in the photos!

It's an L28 until he pulls the head and shows you bore and stroke, and the camshaft back end! (Or you crank it with a Mr. Gasket Cylinder Capacity Pump, and verify the cam by pulling the cover!)

If it sounds too good to be true....it is!

I saw you posted and started some quick mental math and went "oh, well....maybe...."

But that was EXTERNAL stuff you can SEE that was worth that much. Not some nebulous internal stuff!

Then again, "My experiences do not normally apply to the normal human."