HybridZ

Vq35de into a 76 280z

FlameShadow

Ok so i have been toying with the idea recently of doing the VQ35DE swap into my 76. I've been doing some research, using the search function and reading everything i can find on Google but now i have a few questions. First off let me say i am getting a 2004 vq35de for free or rather i possibly will be. Anyways it comes out of a 2004 Maxima that is originally auto.

My questions are as followed.

1)Will a 6 speed out of a 350z bolt up to this?
2)Will a manual harness work with this engine as it was originally in a automatic car?

Thanks for the help

Yes the 6spd will bolt up to it but you have to swap a few parts over to make it work.

You still have a lot of research to do concerning how you want to run this engine, with the stock harness you may need the BCM, NATS System and ECM out of the same car. Stand alone management is an option, Aftermarket plug and play?.

Also read through Hybridz, V6 Nissan engine forum.

Edited by dexter72

Yes, As he said both will work.  The Auto engine you'll need to buy a new flywheel and clutch, buy NEW bolts for it.  You'll also have to put in a different pilot bearing.  You can use the grease trick with a dowel to pop the old bearing out.  You'll need the Manual Engine harness, since the Auto harness is a little different.   You should read my primer on VQ swaps in this forum.  Don't be afraid of NATS, it's actually really easy if you have the ECU/BCU/Key all from the same donor.

• 1 month later...

I'm am doing an HR swap into my 240Z.

Another option regarding wiring and ECM is a service provided by ZFever.

They will re-flash your ECM to remove the NATS feature so you don't need matching keys, BCM, or anything except the ECM itself. $400

They will also do your wiring harness for you; turn it into a standalone harness that requires you to only hook-up 4 wires (12v constant, 12v ign, starter, fuel). $750

I've not heard feedback from someone who had them perform either service, so can not add anything to that effect.

I am personally undecided on having them do this or if I'll do it myself.

That is correct. HR motors need the HR engine harness as well as the dash harness if you want the OBDII plug (only need 6" of pigtail from this, so you could cut it from a donor if you can't get the whole dash harness).

Edited by koshin

• 2 weeks later...

That's right you still need the HR harness.   If you are going that far, it's cheaper to buy the ECU/BCU/KEY from the same car your ECU came from  Sure the ECU mods from Z fever could work. I don't know anyone who's used them but They've been doing it a while so I'm sure their system works.  I wouldn't go aftermarket, Haltech or such, only because that's not specifically designed for the HR.  The HR has variable intake and exhaust timing. I believe Haltech only runs the intake timing leaving the exhaust at zero.    In anycase The stock harnesses also require the Dash harness too for the key and any instruments (with the AC AMP)  

I'm using all the HR harnesses so I can run the lights and blinkers etc off the 350Z wiring rather than the 35 yr old 280Z wires.  

I'm also working on a steering shaft mod to mate the 350z adjustable steering column to the bottom half of the 280z column.  I'll need a newer type steering wheel.

• 3 weeks later...

Steering mod sounds awesome!

My research has concluded that the aftermarket standalone systems lack complex cam phasing control, and they only phase one stick (intake or exhaust) and only have RPM as the input's relational table. This would be a major downgrade, especially for the HR which has phasing on both intake and exhaust and takes input factors such as engine load and throttle position when determining the optimal cam phase position.