HybridZ
Norman V

Advise Needed on Wheels and suspension.

I have a 1971 240Z and I want to switch up my wheels to the 17" Rotas and flares. I currently have stock springs that are beat to hell and KYB's. If I run lowering springs with the 17's and flares will It look proper or do I need to run coilovers? I'd like to run a 275 rear tire. I don't plan to track this car but I'd like a stiffer and lower ride height but not slammed. I would like to have the wheels and tires fill the gaps nicely. Can the 17x9, 17x9.5 combo with a 275 rear and flares work with just lowering springs and look right? Thanks in advance and here is a pic of my car minus all the chrome blacked out that I just did. 

240zgarage.jpg

It can look right, but you won't have much suspension travel left with the stock setup. 

I believe Big Phil is running cut stock springs on his 280z with the wheel combo and flares you speak of and it looks quite nice, you will have to ask him for the ride quality, but I imagine it is not that great. I believe he has gone to coil overs now.

I believe this is a video with just the cut springs 

If looks are all you are going for, the answer is yes you can get the car to look right with just springs. I do suspect your shocks will not last very long and you may run into your bumpstops on occasion.