HybridZ

Found a switch under center console (1978 280z)

Hope this isn't a dumb question, but I've been looking around and can't identify this switch or what it does? Trying to look through wiring diagrams and no leads either, it looks like it was made to mount on the the metal housing for the stereo behind the center console. 

Messing around with it didn't lead to any obvious results. 

photo51.jpg

I was thinking power antenna at first (currently don't have a retractable antenna just a rubberized permanent one) but I also thought many cars activated those with the powering on and off of the radio, I don't know. Its driving me nuts because it looks like there is a perfect aligned mounting point on the side of the stereo metal bracket where it may have once been mounted, but it would have still been out of sight/touch for anyone to operate? 

Those three blue wires in the background are the three that lead to the switch.  It is spring loaded so you have to hold it in the up or down position or else it springs back to a neutral position (kind of supporting the antenna powering function there). 

All S30's had a manual antenna switch in the console with the tuning bezel.

No S30, anywhere in the world came from Nissan with a power antenna that reacted when the radio was turned on or off,

Dealer or port options may have changed that, but the switch is a MOM switch up or down. The defroster switch was a simple SPST Rocker.

post-380-0-40412900-1401013190_thumb.jpg

The standard S30 Factory Radio with standard switch.

post-380-0-46142000-1401013242_thumb.jpg

The 280ZX Rocker Switch (yeah, not even the S130 had auto antenna...)

Edited by Tony D