HybridZ

Whats wrong with my tune?

skylinedriver59

Hey guys I'm having some issues with my car and wanted to see your advise.
Here my issue. my L28et running MS2 which My buddy is tuning ran into an issue that the car will not take boost it runs fine under atmospheric pressure but as soon as we get any boost it falls on it face it cuts the fuel at 1 or 2 psi. I recently swapped the regular map sensor for the mapdaddy  4bar map sensor, would incorrect settings make this happen? we did notice that the VE table is still displaying the same range as when the 2.5 map sensor was on.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Ben at DIYautotune said "that tune shows excessive fuel and a large fall off on timing advance.  The motor has no chance of running on that file"

Thanks,

Manny

you can see my MSQ by going to this link since i was unable to upload.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ss4vi8a63jm18k/2014-06-23_manny240z.msq

we get any boost it falls on it face it cuts the fuel at 1 or 2 psi. I recently swapped the regular map sensor for the mapdaddy  4bar map sensor, w

you can see my MSQ by going to this link since i was unable to upload.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ss4vi8a63jm18k/2014-06-23_manny240z.msq

Did you swap the MAP sensor to try and fix the problem or was everything fine until you swapped the sensor?

The VE table will not change with a different map sensor, it's completely set by you.

I was going to say a log would be more helpful, but looking at your VE table, it's pretty messed up.Same with your spark table. You need to work on your tune, big time.

Judging by your required fuel number I would guess you have 500cc injectors. If you don't, your required fuel number is way off and will make tuning much more difficult. You should only mess with that number if you know exactly what you're doing.

So if you do have 500cc injectors, I would say any value over 180 in your VE table is going to be wrong. So setting it to 255 in light boost areas should be enough to choke the motor.

In the map sharing section look for Cygnus tune. It should get you closer then what you have. That should get you started in the right direction. Cygnus had his tune and settings posted on video on youtube, Download it.

What size injectors are in your engine??..  I think his engine has 440cc injectors. You can use the calculator to get your required fuel lower if you have larger injectors.  

What does your wideband read when you can't throttle it up ??..

NewZed, I did not buy the the map sensor to fix the problem.

Metro, I know the map sensor would not change the values in the VE table I was referring to the range of the ve table.

Yes I'm running 480cc injectors.

Dexter72, I have a few of Cygnus maps along with a few others I found that are close to my setup i might have to use them as references.

Thanks for your feed back guys, thanks to all the feed from you guys and DIY we re-looked at the map and  might have a grasp on it now. I will posted the progress

The issue might be 1. inexperience with MS. and 2. insecurity, I think we are holding back too much because we are afraid to hurt the engine due to the lack of knock sensor.

Whats advise do you have regarding number 2? any pointers? thinking of buying the knocksenseMS from http://www.viatrack.ca/

when dealing with timing what is conservative, Traditional, aggressive and just plane extreme?

Thanks 

Manny

If you are running a wideband and keep it safe up top like you have started with you are heading in the right direction.  You might benefit from spending the coin on the registered version of tunerstudio and utilizing to ve analyze live to get it closer to a manageable level of driveability.  Then you can manually tweak it from there.  You made anything in boost pig pig pig rich it seems and dropped timing very abruptly. I bet the wideband blinks if you have an external gauge.  Glad its running.  I run fixed timing with my car, 20 degrees across the board.  Its not the most you can get out of the tune but it was very easy to tune it that way and isn't a slouch by any means, this car rips. Using fixed timing simplifies the tuning initially because you don't have that variable messing with your tune, you can focus on the VE tables.  The whole area you have above 200 is safe but way too high, you can highlight it and scale it back little by little until she will take boost and not fall flat on her face, keep the AFR in the 11's and lean little by little from there.  I imagine the combination of fuel dumping and timing being pulled feels just like the boost cut feature, or hard rev limit does if you hit it. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys i'm Still having problems with my car. Here is an updated log and tune. The car does not like any throttle movement i have to keep it at about 10% throttle. It also wont go over 2psi of boost. What do you guys think?

Can something be wrong on my setup or the MS it self or does the tune just need more work?

Appreciate any feed back  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/566iz9ss365z667/2014-06-22_17.12.51.msq

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sa1toakwk8bq8qp/2014-06-22_16.20.37.msl

Thanks 

Manny

Edited by skylinedriver59

Looking at your log the two things that seem unusual - your idle kpa is really high and not once do you ever trigger acceleration enrichment.

If you really are cracking the throttle, then your TPS needs to be recalibrated, BADLY. It's reading -3% open when you're idling. The lack of AE should make it difficult to rev up quickly, but it should hold steady once in place.

Also, wait until the engine is fully up to temperature before trying to tune or diagnose anything.