HybridZ

Normal for replacement Tie rod ends?

Greetings just,

I just got a new set of replacement tie rod ends for a 77 280 from rock auto, when they arrived I measured them against the old ones and they are the same measurements, but the problem is that the one that matches the left one will only fit on the right side and one that matches the right one will only fit on the left. Is that normal or should I send them back? Thanks

No, that is very bad. If you turn the steering wheel to the left, the car will go right. And, if you put the car in first gear, it will go backwards. Try moving your left tires to the right and your back tires to the front and everything should be fine. Perhaps your car was made to U.K. specifications. If you do the Hokie-Pokie and you "turn yourself around," thats what its all about. Honestly, it should be ok to install them however they thread on. You may have to remove your wheels to get access to the grease fittings. Perhaps someone reversed the inner tie rods-they both have right-hand threads to secure them to the rack. If you want you can remove the inner tie rods and reverse them but it shouldn't be necessary. I used to run left inner and outer tie rods on both sides. Or maybe it was both right inners and outers.