HybridZ

turbo transplant w/old 240 gas tank.

zipzip

Folks, 

I've a '73 240 w/a '83 280 turbo in it.  I've read that the fuel tank needs to be changed out due to some incompatibilities w/the fuel injection system/supply approach.  I hear from the P.O. there was a limited distance the car would run before running 'out of gas' (no matter there was fuel left).  My thoughts are a fuel cell to eliminate variables, (but they are looking more complicated than I expected (c.o.g., cutting out spare tire metal)).  

Can anyone w/experience speak to this?  

And thanks (very much) for your input...  

rk

Your problem doesn't sound fuel tank related, or at least not directly.

I have a '73 that I have turbo'd and injected using the stock fuel tank. 

I am not using the stock feed though, well at least not as a feed, I have my return plumbed to the original feed line.

I instead removed the drain plug and threaded it for 3/8" NPT and installed a 90* fitting there to feed my Walbro fuel pump. The only time I have an "issue" is when the tank is REALLY low (as in needle touching the empty mark) and only when driving spirited, I notice that my engine runs a tad leaner than when I have more fuel, but still has not missed a beat. I am not using a surge tank either.

It's not an ideal set-up but it seems to work flawlessly, contrary to what people will tell you.

post-3537-0-24524800-1402024557_thumb.jpg

For your problem you need to find out why the engine ceases to run, is it fuel related? Is it spark related? Is there an obstruction in the exhaust? Once you identify what goes away when the car stops running then you can look at that system to find the problem.

Doing a whole fuel cell just for a suspected fuel delivery issue is a bit overkill. And as six shooter said you can get away with using the stock tank without problems. It would be advisable to check somethings before chasing a non existent problem. Impossible to assist without more info.

What's the fuel pressure, what fuel pump, fuel filter condition, line thickness, etc etc. Can't help without facts. 

My stock 73 tank worked fine for...29...going on 30 years because I used two pumps and a proper surge tank.

And I couldn't be bothered to change it to an EFI tank that would need the same damn thing anyway.

For a stock conversion, a 75 EFI tank makes it easier for hooking up a stock pump...that's about it.

• 3 months later...

hey everyone,

also pretty new to the scene myself - working towards a reliable 280Z turbo build in a 71 240Z chassis.

Currently my stock fuel tank is pretty rough, sending rust to my filter every 80 miles or or less to the point of really really bad running.

I still have a carburaeted 260Z engine that the previous owner put in it, but if i convert to a fuel injected engine, if i read this all correctly, i can use a tank from a 75 efi and it'll fit right in place of the old one? no "hammer modifications" needed? no cutting and welding?