HybridZ

Turbo Cam

Thanks for all the comments.  The RB cam profile is SS-56-SS-54-110.  I wud post the cam card if I knew how.  Where is the insert pic command?  Paste does not work either

Have talked to Elgin and Isky, but went into black hole.  Will try Ron again. 

JWT has very pricy $560 cam (with 480 lift and 256 deg (@ .025" lift at valve) duration and 32 deg overlap, P/N L6 A280Z-00C1M.  This is more that the RB cam, prolly too much.  This cam is a symmetric profile. MUST use their valve springs, ($130) 75 psi at stock height (1.6") and 200 psi at lift, which seems low, especially on seat at boost.  The cam is a stock billet, no core reqd.  They have no retainers or lash pads.  The base circle is 2.3" which would call for near stock lash pads (140-150) depending if you have to shim your cam towers due to head milling or how much your valves are sunk   Here is quote from Ben Phila.  He has been very helpful. 

paste kaput

The RB cam has 20 deg over lap, 480 lift, 244 I, 236 E durn at 025 valve lift, which is asymmetric.  I get 12 "Hg vacuum at 800 RPM with a CR of 8:1.  Peak power is 435 RWHP at 6200 RPM. 

I have tried the 270 and 284 Schneider grinds which were way too much cam for the street.  Soggy below 3k with less power on top.  All top end.  The idle vac was only 6-8"Hg for the 270 and 3" for the 284.  This is unacceptable.  Would have to idle at 1500.  Did have more area under torque curve, once awake.

I wud post the cam card if I knew how.  Where is the insert pic command?  Paste does not work either

Save the thing you want to paste as an image (.jpg or whatever), click More Reply Options on the Hybridz page, and attach the image.  A great tool for saving images is the Snipping Tool in Windows 7 and beyond.  It's in the Accessories folder.  It saves files with a .png extension.

Call delta camshaft and ask for the Racer Brown 325R profile on a 110 degreen lobe seperation angle.

That would be 275* seat-to-seat, and 250* at 0.050" lift, with 0.475" valve lift on 110* lobe seperation, so something similar to 35/65 65/35 valve events.

Sound similar to what you have now?

The standard schneider grinds are all on too narrow a lobe seperation for good idle vaccum. the stock lobes were on a 108 lsa, but when adding duration the LSA has to get wider to maintain that vaccum. Less material removal needed to just keep the LSA the same or close, plus you get the rowdy idle everyone thinks of with a "cammed" engine.

Edited by Xnke

• 2 months later...

Hey Dave!  Long time no see.  Hope you are doing well.  

I was thinking about you and the "ole girl" the other day....was gonna call but couldn't find your number.  I wanted to share some information I found in an old '76 Hot Rod magazine Datsun article that shed some light on the history of the Jim Cook body kit. I don't know if I ever told you there were only 14k miles on the Zap when I cut the quarters to install the kit....not sure if it was wise to cut on such a perfectly rust-free Z! I also have a pretty cool keepsake....Jim Cook sent me an actual photo of their Z car showing the "new" airdam because the newest catalog (circa '84ish) didn't have it listed.  I bought the airdam based on the photo and it all got installed at the same time.  

Anyway...onto the cam.  Here's a copy of your cam card you sent me when we realized I was running the same RB part number.  It looked like my lobes were waring also, the last time I looked at my cam...hopefully not with 30k miles.  There may be something better out there but I understand this is supposed to be a good turbo cam.

post-13730-0-67746800-1410553836_thumb.jpg

That you Joe?.  Yeah that's the cam card for the hipo RB grind.  Lot's of grinders have cams that copy that one.

Joe was the original owner/fabricator of my Jim Cook chassis.

Still trying to reinstall the regrind from Schneider, but lost cam trigger sensor.  Went kaput when winged it with the chain block....duh.  My dumb luck.  I think I still have your old phone no.  Will try that later.  just now checking out my posts. 

Looking to upgrade turbo soon and setting up deal to fab equal length turbo headers for the L28.

Thanks for all the CarolinaZ info.

• 4 months later...

I called Isky for a similar 6.5k and 7k power setup, and he recommended the int .490 / 276  ext .480 / 268 grind that others have run on this forum. I could tell the spool was improved vs. the schneider I had, however the motor gave out 20 minutes into the break in lol (bad ring). Going back to an NA set up, so I have the cam for sale if interested :)