HybridZ

280Z L28ET ECU question

Hi to ya all. I finally got my new car over to Norway. I have a problem and that is that the car wont rev over 4000rpm, ive installed new spark plugs, new fuel lines, new filter. The old owner told me that the car has a engine from a "81 and the car has the original wiring and original ECU for the 280z. But then i dont have any detonation sensor or O2 sensors attached, in my head its not good. The car has a manual boost controller set at 10PSI. 

Why wont the car rev up? And is it just for me to get an ECU for turbo do i then need to change the entire engine wiring?

If so does anyone have a wiring,ecu,and distributor they want to sell me?

How about stand alone system, what is the cheapest and easiest setup?

This is the old car to  Scoutman75 on this forum

Thanx for any replyes, 

Best regards from Norway

The NA 280Z EFI system is not a good way to run the 280ZX turbocharged engine.  You could have a mismatch between the ECU and: the injectors (they're higher flow rate on the turbo), the TPS (three position for the Z, two for ZX), the CAS (not connected in your case since the 280Z ECU doesn't use one), and many other components.

You probably already know that people will recommend Megasquirt.  After re-working everything to use the 1980's technology, you'll still have just 1980's technology.

The first thing that you should do is make a list of the parts you have.  Engine block, pistons and head (P90, flat-tops, dished pistons, etc), CAS, TPS, turbocharger, turbo control pieces, etc.  Then you'll have an idea of how to get things working right.

You should stop trying to drive the car in the meantime.  It's pretty easy to damage the L6 with with a turbocharger, especially when it's being boosted over spec., using the wrong ECU, and a bunch of mismatched parts.  All you really have that's useful is a car and a turbocharged engine.

Looks like your car could use a lot of work.  It's not stock by any means so the factory service information won't help a lot.  Post #31 in this thread.  "Perfect" is a relative term, even though by definition it's absolute..

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/67930-in-progress-75z-getting-81zx-turbo-motor/page-2?hl=scoutman75

Edited by NewZed