HybridZ

280zx Turbo start up problem.

Alright so, today while driving my 83 280zx turbo I stopped for about 15 minutes and when I came back to start the car again it turned over but sputtered out almost immediately and every time I started it up after it would do the same so I let it sit for 15 minutes and it started up completely fine with out any problems. This happened 3 more times after that.

The previous owner described a similar problem to me where the car would start up and run fine for 10-15 minutes then choke itself out and you would have to let it sit for a few minutes and it would run fine again.

I already replaced the air flow meter because the one in the car had been broken open and epoxied back together so I figured that was it but I guess not. 

Any ideas?

Sounds like the fairly common "heat soak" or "hot start" problem.  Search those terms on the interweb and you'll find some good reading.

What you describe and what you say the previous owner described look like two totally different things.  Your problem is immediate, his/hers happened after 10-15 minutes of proper running.