HybridZ

Coil Circuit eating Fuses

Kirkster

Have everything done on the 240Z project besides wiring in the O2 Sensor.

Went to verify timing and seem to be having a problem with the coil circuit blowing the fuse.  With all the coil packs disconnected it does not blow the fuse.  But once I hook up a couple of them it blows the fuses.  The only thing that I can think of is that I have the coil packs wired backwards.  

The only other thing might be where I am pulling my 12 volts to trigger the coil circuit relay, which is coming from the power bus from the injectors and fuel pump circuit.

Here is what my coil packs look like wired up.

coilone.jpg

And a close up of the plugged in connector from the above photo...

coiltwo.jpg

And here is my ignition setup in Megasquirt

Ignitionoptions.jpg

Any Ideas?

Those look like GM coils, which as far as I know are logic-level. Meaning MS sends a low voltage pulse to fire the coils. I notice you have them set to "going high" which is usually used for driving the coils directly with an ignitor like the BIP323. Provided you haven't damaged the coils, changing that setting might fix the fuse problem.

The more research I do the more it looks like I need to have the coils wired for the LS2 setup...  Which means my coils are wired backwards. Grrr...  

RTz's post on the coil bracket has this picture and it shows the red wire on the outside which I think is the power wire...

HintzCoils_bracket.jpg

Oh, one more link on the coils...

http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids/1556858-d581-coil-wiring.html

Edited by Kirkster

Doesn't the megamanual show exactly how to wire the LS coils complete with wire color codes?

On my d585 coils the pink was hot if I remember.

Yes Pink is hot if you have a factory pigtail.  I built mine from scratch and I though that the D581 coils were LS1 coils.  It seems that the D581 coils are wired as LS2 coils, at least that is what I am seeing on the internet and everyone knows that the internet is always right.

Metro,  I have seen those two illustrations and agonized over them more than a few times, it is wired as a LS1 coil today but I am pretty sure the D581 coils wire as LS2 at least for right now.

Hopefully I have not blown them up...

RTz helped me out a bunch, he sent me this picture today

LSxCoilWireColors_D581s.jpg

Pink wire is hot.  They are definitely wired as LS2 coils.  Now I can fix my wiring and hopefully fire this baby up today or tomorrow after I check my timing.

Thanks guys...

Edited by Kirkster

If the fuse is the appropriate value, it sounds as though all coils are being powered all at one time and blowing the fuse.  The hot side of the coil wiring should be connected to the fuse output.  The megasquirt output to the coils should be a MOMENTARY ground to fire one coil at a time.

If the fuse is the appropriate value, it sounds as though all coils are being powered all at one time and blowing the fuse.  The hot side of the coil wiring should be connected to the fuse output.  The megasquirt output to the coils should be a MOMENTARY ground to fire one coil at a time.

It was wired as LS1 coils.  Wired as LS2 coils and no problems.  All is good.

Considering the MS document, doesn't that just mean you were looking at the plug upside down.  Or something like that.  The order is the same for each.

The line drawn on the LS2 picture implies that it also grounds the A pin through the coil body.  Maybe a resistance check of the four pins to the coil body (mounting points) would be the easy way to find the A pin, as a reference point.  For future wirers.