HybridZ

1 tuff z: 1972 Fairlady Z-L project!

The bracket is for the factory-fitted road safety warning (red) flashlight that was a legal requirement for the Japanese domestic market in the period.

No S30-series Z was fitted with an emergency safety warning pyrotechnic flare. Pyrotechnic flares were a much later introduction.

I must have misunderstood Tony D. on this.  I'll post a pic of the bracket in mine after I'm at the shop next to confirm.  Thanks Alan for the archive picture!

Spent some time Friday at the shop, intent as to bleed both clutch & brakes.  Neither accomplished, aargh!  Couldn't get a pedal, fluid to push or anything for that matter.  So, back this week, replace both masters & clutch slave and try again.  I at least got the [temp] hatch installed, drained the fuel tank [wasn't too varnish-y], replaced the glovebox lock, installed the battery, found a break in the main power wire in the harness [actually Clive, Evil Z, did] and discovered the return spring action for the ignition assembly is bad so pulled that and will replace with one from my stash.

Also pulled all 4 wheels [like how light the Panasports are!] and have decent pads & shoes all around.

In addition to getting the brakes & clutch working I'll put a few gallons in the tank, replace the dried rubber lines in the engine bay so she's ready to fire.

Everything takes longer that it does and costs more than you estimated...

• 1 month later...

Nice find, seeing this makes me realize how lucky i was finding my Fairlady in the shape she was despite sitting for some years. Friendly suggestion, get her driving and enjoy her! Cant wait to get my lady back on the road, you'll get the best looks at drive thru's :D

Pulled the carbs a few weeks ago, found a broken cap screw [holds in a nozzle], had that machined.  Will order rebuild kits & parts needed for rebuild.  Pulled the valve cover yesterday to see what cam it may have.  Found an excessively worn timing chain guide so who knows what else.  Plan to get her running soon as the carbs are done & enjoy the rest of the season [before upstate NY winter sets in].

post-176-0-94971900-1408279462_thumb.jpg

To pass inspection, you had yo have something in that clip. Most lost the flashlight and substituted the road flares.

Later cars had two clips, which I find had to reconcile against never having flares there...seems redundant for two flashlights...

And the early parts book shows both in that spot.

• 1 month later...

Finally finished the 3x carb rebuild [pic showing them installed below] and am working on tuning them.  Tom Bork came over to the shop last week [Doc B racing, owner of HLS30xxx8] to help as carb tuning is not my thing...].  Swapped some jets, turned some screws, etc.  Runs now and idles but needs a bit more and we still have to sync the carbs.  Took it around the block between 'tunes' and it feels like the reaction disc has fallen down to the bottom of the booster so that needs to be fixed.  Also found the front tires to be dry rotted and having difficulty finding 215-60-14 replacements to fit the old 14x7.5 Panasports [in pic below].

Rear struts seem to be weak and #1 cylinder rings may be on their way out.  Much to do...

Snapped bottom bolts on both front fenders as well as a couple under the hood trying to get them loose = more fun drilling & retapping those holes.  Need to add that to my 'to do' list.

So, I'm now thinking about purchasing a set of 16" wheels for simplicity of [both current & future] tire replacement.  Looking for suggestions; desire something to resemble old school JDM with a nice lip on it, pushed out to the fender lips.  Likely not go with coilovers but install new lowering springs & struts next year.  Leaning toward black, dark to medium gray or silver colors for the wheels.

Wheel ideas?

• 1 year later...

Fired up the extremely long engine build last night.  Here's a link to the video from fb.  Stock block & bottom end L28 [77 280 donor], E31 head, mild steet port, polish, new valve guides & 280z valves installed.  Isky regrind on a stock 280 cam, new springs.  Triple 45mm webers.  Drive time is next before the winter shuts all the summer cars into hibernation.

Keith, the floors are in our finished basement.  Laminate bamboo [not real, think they call it manufactured], Alan & I put it in, not terribly difficult.  The cowl panel is the original, had it bead blasted to see how bad the rust is/was then figured I should paint it so it didn't get any worse but all I had was a rattle can of that blue...

• 4 weeks later...

That's my plan for this winter.  Test fit the header & exhaust, determine how [angle] to best position the sensor, mark the bung location then pull the header, drill & weld.

Bro, I'd wait till the header was installed to plan that port.  I'm the king of painting myself into a corner.

• 2 weeks later...