HybridZ

whats better p90 or n42 head

Guest Anonymous

...And based on that I'm gonna step in here for a second...

A: There is NO PROOF that ANY of this info is accurate. We're talking bench racing here guys, PERIOD. Lets keep our perspective here. Don't get me wrong, there are VERY relative points here, but no actual HARD data has been presented to prove or disprove either theory.

Bottom line is that THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES!

Bench racing... Ain't it fun?

Mike

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we should all take up a collection and send a P90 and an N42 to Sunbelt, have them port them equally, and mill the P90 to where it has equal CC's on the combustion chamber that the N42 has.

Then we will drop it on an engine with the same camshaft, springs, etc, and see what happens.

Anyone want to donate?

If you don't thats fine, but it all boils down to personal opinion. I like mine you like yours, and that is that.

Guest JAMIE T

Like I said in an earlier post here. I have enjoyed this thread. I've learned more about Datsun L heads in the last couple of days than I have in this past year. I honestly haven't been trying very hard to learn about them ;) .

Hey Bob, I'm in Richmond. I wouldn't mind getting together with you sometime and checking out your car and set-up.

Jamie,

You have two weeks before my motor comes out. If you are interested in seeing it on action at the track, I will be at Summit Point,(about two hours from you, maybe less), next weekend, nov 2-3. That weekend Jim who just bought my entire setup will be there Sunday to take a ride/drive and generally have fun. You are welcome to come out on Saturday and take some rides. E-mail me off line if you are interested.

-Bob

> Maybe we should all take up a collection and

> send a P90 and an N42 to Sunbelt, have them

> port them equally, and mill the P90 to where it

> has equal CC's on the combustion chamber that

> the N42 has.

Figure about $2,000 per head plus dyno time.

> So John, the important question is have you

> gotten to drive yours yet?!

No, and that's the dirty, nasty little secret. With being in welding school for 7 weeks and Erik going through splitter/wing hell on the Schley Viper. The Z goes in tomorrow though and I should be ready by Christmas.

• 1 month later...

Back from the dead.......

So if I'm building a 3.1 motor I should use the N42 right??? I don't want to shave and mess with the shims and all that crap. What about a N47 head??

I think the point of all this was that you can use either head and get satisfactory results. If you don't want a lot of hassles with machine work, pick the head that comes closest to the compression ratio that you want for the pistons that you will be using.

Guest Anonymous

Lemme throw a twist on this. It seems the debate is ivloving NA engines. Would this also apply to the Turbo engine ? or would it even matter because of the forced induction ? The reason i ask is becuase i aquired a N42 Engine and im considering rebuilding it for high HP turbo app. thanx !~

• 5 months later...

I hadn't seen this thread in a while and I was surprised when I scrolled back to page 5 and a post 5 by Dan Baldwin. Dan, your comments are rude and inappropriate. I don't even know you. I have 4 years of post-doctorate education and didn't do that with a short attention span. Keep your provocative, condescending comments off the forum. DAW

I hadn't seen this thread in a while and I was surprised when I scrolled back to page 5 and a post 5 by Dan Baldwin. Dan, your comments are rude and inappropriate. I don't even know you. I have 4 years of post-doctorate education and didn't do that with a short attention span. Keep your provocative, condescending comments off the forum. DAW

Dude - chill. As far as I could tell all Dan was doing was pointing out an omission in your post prior to his, and summarizing for those that couldn't make it all the way through your well written but lengthy post (hence the short attention span reference).

While it might not have been particularly flowery, I didn't take it as being terribly mean-sprited or rude. As Bob H would say -"Eat your Wheaties". :D

Am I going to have to lock this thread?

I went to the 5th page and saw Dan's post (actually the 6th on that page - but who's counting)

Dan said :"Once more for DAW and those with short attention spans"

If that can get your feathers ruffled, you need to take a breather before you post.

BTW, I have a short attention span when scanning threads. I appreciate people every once and a while summarizing the FACTS like Dan tried to do. I'm not sure that Dan was actually trying to jab you ribs, DAW. And if he was, it was pretty gentle.

First, this is not Dan Baldwin, but Bob H. Dan is at my house and we are trying to get his motor up and running again after his big rebuild,(it broke after we took it to VIR).

First, DAW, in your post, you were addressing three basic sizes of heads and to the best I could tell, also about three different E-88 heads. Yet on page 4, post 6,(before the post you commented on) Dan posts about the 4 different type of E-88 heads. Hence his "short attention span" comment.

(steps up on soap box)

I got sick and tired of members whining or complaining the moment they felt they were personally insulted or the thread took a negative turn,(its the internet, not real life). Far too many people are way too sensitive on the internet boards. At the least sign they were "personally affronted", off they went to whine to a moderator. Don't misunderstand me as I think there is a good role the moderators can play in this,(although they don't always). You get members who post a reply to a more forward response from someone like me: "hey! that's not nice!, That is the most insulting thing ever said to me" or something along those lines.

Give me a break guys. HybridZ is one of the only good Z boards left but it may not stay that way. It has taken a rather significant downturn in the last few months. There is a natural turnover in all boards, but you hope to retain the knowledgable types over time,(or at least replace them). Dan and I were discussing how esp. in the last few months, memebers on hybridz have gotten really sensitive. This was not the first time someone has had a response like DAW against Dan or others. I'm not saying my approach is the best, but it does cut down on the signal to noise ratio. There is a balance to be found, but grow up guys. It is usually fairly clear when it is a one on one insult.

In the end, hybridz faces becoming a zcar.com or otherwise. That would be a sad, huge loss. I encourage you guys to think a bit before feeling offended, much less posting about it. I encourage you to PM the individual vice posting it to raise feathers of all involved It is the internet and sarcasam and feelings don't convey well. If you have someone who has been here for a while and a bunch of posts, it is unlikely they are attacking you or trying to insult.

(steps off soapbox)

-Bob Hanvey

edit- I see Pete (and Tim!) addressed it well.

(steps off soapbox)

Back to lurker status as Dan is leaving tomorrow.

-Bob Hanvey

edit- I see Pete addressed it well.

HEY - I addressed it pretty well, too! I've never been so...

ummm, never mind.

:D

Keep your provocative' date=' condescending comments off the forum. DAW[/quote']

Zounds! What is this, ancient thread resurrection week?! Hey, if you're not paying attention to pertinent aspects of a discussion, you can expect to get a little semi-polite ribbing for it. It certainly isn't meant to piss anybody off, only to get them to THINK. Am I the only one on the whole fricking internet that can occasionally stand to be corrected, and even once in while find that I was maybe (gasp) wrong about something without working myself into a tizzy over it?!

As far as your 4-years post-doc, congrats! I did manage 2 years of graduate study to get my M.S. WAY back when, and I DID do it with a short attention span!

But cirrusly, that post (and this one) was NOT meant to be mean-spirited at all. I like to think it was in the spirit of light-hearted comeraderie. I'm sorry if it doesn't appear that way from your end.

Happy Memorial Day!