HybridZ

280Z runs lean after 4000rpm

Here's the scenario, 1975 CA base model, EGR equipment has been removed, cat has been removed, air regulator has been removed, and 7th injector is not hooked up. I had a custom rail made using Ford 19lb injectors, and stock fuel pressure regulator. 

Car ran great everything described above, even a little rich, so I adjusted the AFM to lean it out a bit. Lately, once it gets to 4k or higher in the rpm, it runs real lean, this is verified by an AEM wideband gauge installed/ Sensor is located where the cat used to be.

I adjusted the TPS as per the instructions on atlanticz, and it helped a little bit initially, but now it does the same thing. I even adjusted the AFM back to factory position, and it seems the only change is it runs real rich at idle, and part throttle (in the neighborhood of 10:1 - 11.5:1 air/fuel).

Unfortunately, the fuel pressure gauge that came with the rail is busted, and no longer reading accurately, so I'll need to change the gauge. Could the fpr be bad? What else should I check for? Could the ECU be doing something goofy, and not providing enough fuel at the higher rpm range?

once the AFM flap is opened, or the throttle position closes the WOT contacts around 33% open, or you are over 3500 rpms, the things that affect fueling are few since it's on the preprogrammed map. It has X Pulsewidth plus small (I mean REALLY small) air temperature  or coolant temperature compensations. The  fueling should pull back after 4,000 somewhat as that gives best power past peak torque.

A turbo would go to 13.8-14.7, I can see an N/A doing similar, but since they start 12-13 to begin with, and not 11-12 14.8-15.8 doesn't seem too lean.

Other than the gauge telling you something that  appears to be correct, were there physical manifestations such as surging or bucking at speed that indicated it was 'too' lean?

18:1 is NOT 'too lean' in some cases, especially under low/no load. 

Your 25 psi at idle implies 22 inches of intake vacuum, which is very high for the 280Z, I believe.  And you should have seen 36-37 psi when blipping the throttle.  Disconnect the starter solenoid wire and turn the key to Start.  The fuel pump will run but the engine won't turn over.   Or disconnect the vacuum hose to the FPR while the engine is running.  You'll get full pressure on the gauge, it should be 36-37 psi for a stock regulator. 

Why not use the FSM or the Electronic Fuel Injection Guide to know that the TPS is right?  The early one was written for your car.  Test at the ECU connector.  http://www.xenons130.com/reference.html 

Those Ford injectors are one lb/hr higher rate than stock.  You should be running rich.  Are they low or high impedance?  If they're high, did you bypass the stock resistors in the power circuit?  Maybe the injectors aren't opening correctly.

Just some possibilities.

At full throttle when it starts to go lean, I feel a power loss. If I keep it at part throttle on the highway, even after 4k, it will maintain 13:1 ratio, as soon as I go wot, it jumps to 16 almost 17.

I've browsed through the fuel injection guide, but I'll go through it again. The ford injectors are high impedance, I was told by the guy who built the rail for me that I could run them without any I'll effect.

At full throttle when it starts to go lean, I feel a power loss. If I keep it at part throttle on the highway, even after 4k, it will maintain 13:1 ratio, as soon as I go wot, it jumps to 16 almost 17.

I've browsed through the fuel injection guide, but I'll go through it again. The ford injectors are high impedance, I was told by the guy who built the rail for me that I could run them without any I'll effect.

You have a plugged fuel filter.

Where is this Aeromotive filter?  Before the pump or after?  The stock Nissan pump is huge so that it can pass enough fuel to support the engine while still filtering.  You might have the wrong filter.

The high impedance injectors won't hurt anything but if you left the resistors in place you're running less current through the system, including the ECU, than designed.

Your pressure and intake vacuum numbers don't add up but 38 psi would be sufficient pressure to make things work right.  19 inches of vacuum is 9.3 psi.  38 - 9.3 = 28.7.  Your picture of the gauge at idle shows 25.  Probably just two bad gauges, combined, or the camera caught a bounce.  Who knows.

If the lean-out happens even when you work up to 4000 at part-throttle then the TPS probably isn't a factor.

Edited by NewZed

Filter is located near the factory location, I can't remember what micron size the element is, I'll take it apart and check. I used the same filter on a couple previous cars I've owned, and never had any issues with it. 

null_zpsc9c49d0a.jpg

I'm not getting any bounce on the new gauge, it's liquid filled and very steady. Old one was a dry gauge and it only lasted about 4 months before it failed. Here's a few pictures I took this morning at idle, and with the vacuum hose off the regulator, and my intake manifold vacuum. Fuel pressure at idle this morning was slightly higher, looks to be about 28. Manifold vacuum was also very steady, it held at 19 until I blipped the throttle, then came back down to 19.

20140624_070651_zpsswfcpgdt.jpg

20140624_070623_zps6y9e9yy0.jpg

20140624_070747_zpszojfzefm.jpg

::Ninja edit:: The wideband gauge is a dual purpose gauge, wideband, and boost/vacuum. I changed the settings to show vacuum in the center.

Another thing I left out, I'm using an Odyssey PC680 battery, and if you know that battery, it's small compared to a full size car battery. Could the small battery be causing my problem? I'll try a full size battery and see if anything changes.

Edited by Serban

The simplest test for you would be to view fuel pressure when the problem happens.  Get the vacuum number from your dash gauge and the fuel pressure number from another and you'll have numbers that tell you something.  The standard practice is to T in a service gauge and run the hose out of the partially open hood to where you can see it while driving.  Your idle numbers don't show anything wrong.  

But, more to the point - does the engine run differently above 4000 RPM?  You never really said.  Or are you doing all of this work because your AEM gauge shows a number?  You might just have an exhaust leak.

I feel a substantial loss in power. Previously when the gauge was indicating low to mid 13s AF the car felt like it had more power all the way to redline, now I don't even chance revving that high. It doesn't break up or stumble or anything of that sort, just low on power.

Cap, rotor, wires, plugs have all been changed in the last 6 months, so I may be able to eliminate them as culprits.

Tony D, you may be right about the fuel filter. There was an obscene amount of rust in there. At least it's the 10 micron element so it may have stopped some of that rust from reaching the injectors.

20140624_235438_zpsxlcll0uj.jpg

20140624_235645_zpsg09v4ix8.jpg

20140624_235709_zpshbwielai.jpg

20140625_000218_zpsw9osv7vo.jpg

I'll report back once I get a new filter element in there.

Edited by Serban

10 Micron is big... If it persists, before doing anything else I'd reverse-flow clean your injectors to flush the individual inlet screens of anything that went past the filter.

The symptoms of what you described (that I quoted) were classic clogged/restricted filter problems. Runs fine but not at WOT at high speeds. Let up on the throttle a bit and the car comes back alive and will sometimes run all the way to redline---just won't do it WOT. 

That's been the same from carbs onwards. I think you will likely find you're back to your former power levels, and it explains the gradual loss.

Pray your injectors inlet screens are clear! They can do the same thing. JeffP lost his forged bottom end when the Z31 ECU switched from 2 squirts to one at 5225 rpms. Up to that point, with the injectors only flowing half the required fuel for full power everything was fine. Go to 5230 rpms and it was like the engine was on a rev limiter "rm-rumm-rm-rummm-rum-rum..." He'd unknowingly blown a cellulose based fuel filter and the loose shards of the fibers got into his injectors. When they were called to deliver that fuel flow in ONE injection pulse per timing event, they flow limitation was presented. Below that point you could get 10:1 AFR's easily. 5 rpms, and they went from 11.3 to 16/19/22.0:1 before Clark could lift.

Fine to a point of high load WOT then after that no matter what, couldn't get more fuel. And it wasn't that way before!

Sound familiar?  :P

Dirty/clogged fuel filter was the culprit!

New filter element is installed, car is back to its slightly faster self. AF maintains 11.4:1 all the way to redline. I'll have to adjust the AFM again and lean it out slightly.

Thanks again Tony for the suggestion. The filter wasn't in that long, but got dirty real quick, would have never thought that was the problem. I'll have to check it every few months now.

Yes, it will do that continually... You may want to just take the time and drop the tank--clean it out with Muriatic Acid, plug any leaks that pop up after the cleaning, possibly coat the interior and be done with it!

Not that size. I'd pickle the two fuel lines with muriatic acid, and flush liberally with water afterwards.  But I really doubt its in there.

On a ZX, you got a swirl pot and a strainer in the tank...I'd open it and pull your pickup out to take a look. Something is inside there. I've seen bad gas tanks in podunk desert towns pump enough clay silt to sidline every car in a convoy by the end of the driving day... So the source could be almost anywhere. But likely it's the tank. I'd have a look at your strainer and swirl pot for sure...that's fairly easy to access.