HybridZ

Advice needed with 240z ignition

I've decided to overhaul the entire ignition system on my 73' 240z.  I've chosen to go with the msd 6al ignition but I am unsure of which distributor to go with.  I know a common choice is the later 280 dizzy but I would just rather go ahead and buy a new dizzy instead of hunting down a used 280.  Ive been looking into the mallory dizzys but am unsure of which one to go with as there are a lot of options.  Please excuse me if this topic has been covered before I have been searching for this for a few days now and have not turned up to many results. Thank you in advance and any advice on this topic is more than appreciated.  

IF you're just looking for stronger spark the MSD can be run from your 1973 points distributor.  If you're looking for more adjustability in your advance curves the Mallory might offer that.  The simplest, cheapest way to get stronger spark might be a 280ZX distributor with its electronic module.  You can get them for about $125 from Rockauto or your local parts store.  Not shiny and don't have a big brand name attached but pretty effective.

Don't forget that a new distributor will come with different centrifugal and vacuum advance curves.  The curves have a big effect on driveability and power.